Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
So, when I'm traveling with my Macbook, I use several different routers to get my wireless, depending on where I am - friends houses, hotspots, etc. Most of the personal ones are password protected.

My problem is that I have to input the password every time - and usually it's the really long series of number, etc. It's just a pain.

Is there any way to get around this? Something with the keychain (haven't been able to figure that out yet)? Something else?

Please help, thank you!

Ashley

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
ashley said:
So, when I'm traveling with my Macbook, I use several different routers to get my wireless, depending on where I am - friends houses, hotspots, etc. Most of the personal ones are password protected.

My problem is that I have to input the password every time - and usually it's the really long series of number, etc. It's just a pain.

Is there any way to get around this? Something with the keychain (haven't been able to figure that out yet)? Something else?

Please help, thank you!

Ashley
i do think you can store it in your keychain, you can play around with preferences to see if you an find it out.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
In the dialog where you enter your password, there should be a checkbox so you can specify that the password should be retained in your Keychain in future.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
whooleytoo said:
In the dialog where you enter your password, there should be a checkbox so you can specify that the password should be retained in your Keychain in future.
Just an aside, I check that box every time I re-enter my WEP key for my home router. Despite that, my MacBook occasionally "forgets" what the key is.

To the OP: My poor man's workaround for this is to keep a text file in my home directory that contains the WEP key for my router at home. On those occasions when my router forgets the password, I just open this file and copy & paste the code.

ashley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
Thank you for your help - I think I'll use to "poor man's workaround" :p for now ... I think mine's been "forgetting" the passwords.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I had a similar problem a while ago. What I had to do was delete the old connection and recreate it again. For some reason it started remembering it again and hasn't forgotten since.

*Note: I also use my computer with different wireless routers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.