Wireless PCI card?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Sweetfeld28, Oct 20, 2004.

1. macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I had never thought about it until today, but can Mac's with PCI expansion slots use those wireless PCI cards for PCs?

I currently use a Wireless connection at my house, both the G4 and the iBook are currently using the same connection. Does anyone think it would work?

Something like this one: bestbuy

2. macrumors newbie

Wireless PCI Card

Hi
    I have one of the linksys cards in my G4 Tower. I think you need at least OSX 10.3. The mac just sees the card as an apple airport card. I bought this so I could get 802.11 G as the apple airport card only gives 802.11 B

3. macrumors 68000

kgarner

What is the model number of the card adn what G4 do you have? That would be very cool to set up at home.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

So, you don't think that it will work on my Beige G3 with 533 Mhz.? Also, have you had any problems with yours?

5. macrumors newbie

Wireless PCI Card

Hi all

the model of the card is Linksys WMP54G. There is a version with something called "speed boost, this does not work. The WMP54G has been great, no problems at all. I do think you need at least OSX 10.3 for this to work.

6. mms
    macrumors 6502a

I believe that Panther will recognize most PCI 802.11 cards as an Airport card, allowing you to use it without installing any drivers. However, you would probably want to check for compatibility before buying one. Up until Jaguar, there was an open-source generic driver that seemed to work adequately, though it is no longer in active development.
    http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/

7. macrumors 6502

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i like Sonnets stuff, but man is their stuff expensive. I mean why would i pay 99.95 for the Wireless PCI card from them, when i can buy pretty much the same thing at half the price from bestbuy (or somewhere else)?

9. macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

As long as it uses a Broadcom chipset (like the Airport Extreme card) it will be recognised natively as an Airport card. Apple did this to allow 802.11g compatibility for older systems, you need the latest Airport software installed also.

10. Guest

caveman_uk

Cards using the atheros chipset apparently also work using this driver which comes from a third party developer. It costs $15. I've never used it but pass this info on as it may be of some help to someone

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

guys, i just bought the Linksys 802.11G PCI card and put it in my G3. For some reason i can't get it to see the network, or show up in the list in Sys. Prefs. -->Network. All i see is the Modem, and Ethernet. What was the last version of Airport software availible for 10.2(.8)? For those of you who said, that you have this installed and working, am i doing something wrong or did i miss something? Or should i have bought the 802.11B card instead?

The only thing that is required for 10.3 is the newer Airport software updates, at least i think so. At least that is what the Airport downloads stated.

12. Guest

caveman_uk

Linksys have a habit of changing the chipsets on their cards without notice and without changing model numbers. Just beacuse they used to use Broadcom doesn't mean they do now. This doesn't affect their PC users as they just use the drivers they are given. Apple users are however screwed. Apple only supports Broadcom chipset cards and if Linksys aren't using Broadcom the card will not work using the default drivers.

Is it visible in system profiler?

Edit: See this page

13. macrumors newbie

Wireless PCI Card

I Have 2 of the Linksys WMP54G cards working with no problems at all plugged them in and they show up in the system profile as Vendor ID 0x14e4 Device ID 0x4320 and Revision ID 0x0003

hope this helps.

if anyone in the UK wants one of these I can tell you who has them

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I think that i must have the v.4 Linksys card. I thought it looked kind of short when i bought it. I also was going to return it tonight, but i had to take an exam at school, so i didn't have time. But tomarrow after work i will return it. I think that bestbuy also had the Linksys A+B+G card, i think that this one may work. It looked bigger, like a normal sized PCI card, and thicker than the one i currently have.

Below is the one i have, it is a V.4 card, as stated from Linksys' site.

Attached Files: