Wireless Pre-N and Airport extreme card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sowlerrmgh, Dec 21, 2005.

1. sowlerrmgh macrumors member

Oct 26, 2004

Does anyone know if my airport extreme card in my powerbook will work with a belkin wireless Pre-N network?

Thank You and Happy Christmas

2. sowlerrmgh thread starter macrumors member

Oct 26, 2004
  3. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The Airport card will only work on b and g networks. However the pre-N routers usualy also send out, or can send a b or g signal so you should be able to use it with your Powerbook.
  4. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2004
    Hmm, i wonder when apple will make Pre-N Mimo cards and airport base stations.
  5. zulgand04 macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Northborough, MA
    Prolly not any time soon, theres too much variations right now for it to be worth it. Once the N standard is agreed on or is closer to an agreement then they will bring it out like the did with the g standard. maybe a year from now it may be closer.
  6. Martin Spanjaar macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2006
    Apple with Belkin pre-N

I'm typing this on my PowerBook, via a Belkin pre-N wireless router/gateway. So, it works.

There are some problems, however.
    One is security, the other is how to use an Airport Express base station with the Belkin pre-N.

1. Security: Belkin talks about WPA as 'WPA-PSK (no server)' while Apple talks about 'WPA personal' or 'WPA2 personal'. Neither seems to work with the Belkin version of WPA.
    'WEP 128-bit hex' does, luckily.

2. I hope(d) to stream audio to my stereo with an Apple Airport Express base station, but I didn't succeed in linking that to the Belkin pre-N.

Any ideas?