Wireless print server for mixed network

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yadmonkey, Feb 9, 2007.

1. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Hi, can anybody offer some advice on a reliable wireless print server for a mixed network of 2 Macs and 2 PCs? The printer being shared is a recent HP inkjet and I need a low-maintenance solution for an existing Linksys wireless network.

Your wisdom is appreciated!

2. BenHoleton macrumors regular

I just use an Airport express for 4 laptops. We techincally all use macs, but my friends with pc's have used my print server with no problems

3. 7ttman macrumors newbie

Mixed printing

I've successfully used an apple airport express with a mixture of HP printers, and also having to use the CUPS printer software on the MACS due to non-existent drivers for the various models. Windows machines have never been a problem in that respect.

And the great thing with the express is that you can also couple up some speakers and remotely play itunes through it at the same time.

It also works well with Linksys, extending the range further.

However, I recently brought a 24" imac and there was a deal which through in £60 off a HP printer. So I got a HP2575 for £40 (cartridges cost that alone). I've hooked that up, via ethernet to my router and now I've got a scanner, card reader and printer working off a whole fleet of MACS and PC's. The router access as the wireless hub, so we're busy all other the house with the five laptops.

Biggest problem is "who buys the cartridge when the colour runs out"

4. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Thanks to both of you for your replies. So I guess what I'm wondering is this... can an Airport Express unit be used as just a wireless print server on an existing network?

The printer is not located by an ethernet port, so it would need to connect wirelessly to the existing Linksys network. If it adds range, great, if not, no biggie. Sound like this could work?

5. 7ttman macrumors newbie

wireless

yes that worked for me. My router/modem/WAP was in my study and I placed the printer/AE in my dinning room where "all those people in my house" liked to use their laptops (all of which are wireless).

So anyone from any machine (wired or wireless) could print to the printer on the AE. It also helped to boost the signal in the dinning room which was three brick walls away.

AE also has an ethernet port plus audio out for Airtunes... also works with Airfoil

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

you have kinda answered you own question. :)

airport express requires a wireless network to share a printer. if there's a network already, airport express will then serve as a range booster while sharing the printer at the same time.

find out more about airport express at apple.com/airportexpress.

7. twocargar macrumors newbie

twocargar

Re: Wireless print server for mixed network

The AirPort Express will only serve as a signal booster for another AirPort product. According to apple.com/airportexpress, "AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network."

I have both of my printers connected to my AirPort Express. One is connected to the USB port, and one to the Ethernet port. It works great with both Macs and PC's. Just make sure you install the Apple Bonjour software on the PC so it will be able to see the printers.

Good Luck,

TCG

8. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

well, apparently someone has done it.

9. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

I don't know if you're in the market for a new printer but I have an HP c6180 that has built-in wireless and I use it with a Mac, Dell laptop and a HP desktop. It works great and has just about every feature you could think about; scanning , fax, copy, print, photo editor, card reader, etc. The range is excellent as I can print or scan to the printer from anywhere in my house upstairs or downstairs in the basement. It is a little pricey at 299 with a $50 dollar rebate but well worth it.