Wireless Printer & Guest network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FongMan, Feb 9, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

FongMan

Hey Guys,

Looking for some advice here, I have a Dual band Time Capsule setup. I connected my wireless printer to the guest network so people can print freely. It works fine and anybody on the guest network can print freely, however those that are on the main wireless can't. How do I add the printer to my computer if it's on the guest network?

2. macrumors 68040

tigres

When you get that answer I'm all ears. Had the same issue w/my samsung wireless using G and slowing down my N band. When I put the printer on the guest network, can't print.

3. macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Can you ping an ip address on the guest network from the main network? IF so, try setting up the printer using its IP address on the guest network.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

FongMan

I tried pinging something in the guest network via network util but 100% packet loss :(

5. macrumors 6502

I don't know how the Apple Guest Network system works, but explain to me why you think this can be done?

Usually Guest Networking is done by creating a virtual LAN. The whole point of a VLAN is for traffic to behave as though the two networks aren't even connected. You set up a guest network in part to keep traffic out of your "real" LAN -- so is the router just supposed to know that printers are a very special exception?

6. thread starter macrumors regular

FongMan

Hey Samh, you are correct, and that is exactly why I have the guest network setup. However I know that you can setup a computer at the Office to print to a printer at home which is two completely different networks. So I was hoping there was a similiar solution here where I can tell it to connect to the router or a computer and from there find the printer and connect to it.

If it can't be done and I need to buy a 2nd printer then that's fine. I was just hoping to find a way around that.

7. macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I'm not overly familiar with airport networks, sorry...but is your printer connected wirelessly? If so, can you connect it via USB to the airport station and see if you can then use it from both networks?

8. thread starter macrumors regular

FongMan

I was thinking about that, the problem is it's an office and the location from the Printer and the Time Capsule are too far apart, the hassle of running a cable is a bit inconvenient and I'd rather just buy a 2nd printer, but it is a good point bmcgonag.