Wireless Printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by timmyb, Apr 8, 2005.

1. timmyb macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2005
    United Kingdom
    When I buy an iBook after the next update I'm also planning on buying a printer, and have noticed the HP Deskjet 6840 Wireless printer in the Apple store. To be able to print wirelessly, do I need anything extra from the iBook, (with built in AirPort card) and printer, or do I also require an AirPort Base Station? Also what is the range of the wireless printer, (would I be able to print when about 25m from the printer?)
    Thanks for all help
  2. twoodcc macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    i'm not sure, but i think with an airport station or whatever, you can print wirelessly with a wired printer. so if you got a wireless printer, then you wouldn't need anything. but i'm not sure about that, someone else will clairify.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I'm pretty sure you can just add it to your existing WiFi network through Rendez-Vous/Bonjour (read: it'll just be found by your iBook). But that's assuming you have a network already. If you don't, then you'll need the Airport or an equivalent.

However, I've got a wired printer hooked into one of my Expresses (Airport) which is pretty cool, and probably a little cheaper too. You just need a USB printer that OSX will recognise.
  4. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    Actually, all of HP's wireless printers are Bluetooth, not WiFi. If your 'Book is equipped with Bluetooth, then you'd add it just like any other printer, otherwise I'd suggest a wired printer and an Airport Express.

5. rccola70 macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2004
    No, I have a HP deskjet 5850 and its Wifi. It can't possibly be bluetooth because I don't have a bluetooth card. But anyways, ya, if you want to print wirelessly, you'll need a wireless network set up. If not, you can plug the printer directly to a router and then share it from there.
  6. flat6 macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2004
    Speaking of which
    I've got a HP PSC 2175

Anyone got any ideas why it refuses to print from Airport Express?