Wireless Printing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JurgenWigg, Jan 31, 2007.

1. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Hey, I'm looking into getting an airport extreme in a few months for my parents, especially my dad who has several PC laptops, while we have a family iMac, my sister has an iBook and I have my wonderful macbook, and it'd be much easier to hook up a wireless printing setup for the whole family to use.

first off, for whatever reason, my parents have decided to get a monster black and white printer that's highly efficient as well as a high quality color printer for photos and the like. Can I hook both up to the base station?

Secondly, I've had bad experiences with this. Namely, when I got my laptop for college, I picked up one of the free printers as well as the airport express thing, only to discover that the line of printers that were free with the rebate were, in fact, incompatible with airport's wireless printing. Is there some sort of list that i can check to make sure that both my parent's printers will play nice?

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

If they have a Mac driver then you can print wireless from a Mac. I don't know if pc/windows supports this, so then it should probably be in the driver/it should be a network printer.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

If either of them is network enabled, you may want to try connecting them to the network that way instead of using USB. Also, I use an Airport Express to connect my inkjet to the network. If you can't get both to work on the one USB port, you could invest another $80 or so and get an Express (or some other cheaper solution).