Wireless Printing?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Stelliform, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Hey guys, I need a little info, and I wanted to see if anybody has run into this.

At my house I have two computers an iMac 17" and my TiBook. I use them in different rooms usually. I have a cable modem and wireless router in the attic for both machines to access the internet, and to share the occasional file between the two. (BTW file sharing seems very sluggish, but no biggie...)

Anyway, I have an Epson Stylus Photo hooked up to the iMac via USB. I need to print stuff from my TiBook occasionally and I usually unplug the iMac and plug in the TiBook. I would like to be able to print from my TiBook's normal desk without moving stuff around.

So my question is, can I either...

A. Share the printer from the iMac?
    B. get a wireless USB printer sharing that will allow both computers to print wirelessly to the printer. (And that wouldn't be dog slow on printing pictures...

Any ideas would be welcome!

Thanks!

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Hmmm, in os 9 you had a small app, or extension to make your usb printer the network printer, eventhough it was hooked up to a mac or airport. Does it still exist in os X?

Edit: If you have an airport base station with a usb port, hook your printer on the base station!

3. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

You can absolutely share the printer on the iMac. You will have to keep ur iMac on all the time or make sure it's up when u want to print. Hook up the Printer to the iMac, go into the Sharing Preference Panel in System Preferences. Turn on Printer Sharing.

On the TiBook, install the driver, open the print center and add a printer. Use the "Rendezvous" option from the drop down list and viola!

You can even print from Windows PCs to a Printer on PANTHER!

hope that helps.

macboyX

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No. It has to be up and running. Just set it to never sleep and let it fold...

If you are gonna buy a wireless print server you might as well just buy an AE base station and make your current one a node.

6. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

It does thanks!

I never turn off the iMac. I like being able to stop for a second and check the web for a minute or two. (it is in the kitchen.)

Thanks!

7. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX