Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a.paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
First post, have searched, haven't found "the" answer. If there are threads I missed please point them out, thank you!

I'm a wireless virgin. Am getting a refurb MPB (15" 2.16, couldn't pass it up after the prices went down Tuesday) and also a brand new 24" iMac (my new business is going pretty well :D ). Anyway, the question:

I want to have a wireless signal going from my desk (where the modem is, and where the iMac will be) out into the living room...15 feet max or so. I also want to be able to steam iTunes to my stereo, in the living room (I might be wrong, but if internet radio stations play through iTunes I should be able to stream them?). Also some basic web browsing and stuff on the MPB out there, to keep track of orders and customer service without having to be chained to the desk.

There is a linksys router in the house, running for my tenants, I don't want to interfere with it, but I wouldn't mind hooking into it when I'm in that part of the house (looong house).

Crap...has any of this made any sense?

So what I'm coming down to is an Airport base station and an Express base station? Or two Express stations? Or am I just way off base?

I was figuring on putting an Airport Base Station back at the desk, and an Express out by the stereo.

Also concerned over reports of bugs and issues with both the Aiport Base and Express.

So...thank you in advance.
Sorry for the long post.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The Express is the only option with an Audio Out line. When you say you want to stream music, do you mean share iTunes playlists or use the AirPort to connect to speakers and play music (and radio stations)?

Depending on your current setup, you should be able to connect the Express to the Linksys, extend your wireless range and play music. How many Expresses you need depends on whether the speakers are close enough to the Linksys to be able to pick up the signal or not. Does this help? :)

a.paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
I hadn't realized I could connect the Express and the Linksys, thanks for that.

Yes, play music from iTunes (including internet radio) over the stereo, using--I presume--a standard Line In.

Thanks.

Soton Speed

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2006
UK
You may be able to get away with just a single Airport Express connected to your stereo. You can use the iMac to share the internet through its own airport and use the express as a booster - this would mean that the iMac would need to be on to access the net though.

For internet radio Airfoil could be what you are looking for - I am unaware of any similar freeware programs.

My experience with the express has been great, both as a wireless point, wireless printer port and wireless music streamer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.