Wireless Repeater

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Jan 31, 2006.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Im helping my aunt out, who is constantly getting slow internet on her brand new iMac.. Her internet speed is fine (cable), just i think the router is to far from her computer, and she cant move it. Is the best option to buy a repeater? if so, which one should i get her? She has the linksys BEFW11S4 router. What should i tell her?

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I don't really know of any repeaters other than Apple's Airport Express. It can be configured as just a standalone unit and you place it in between the router and the iMac. It extends the wireless range and it just needs to be connected to a wall socket.

3. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Maybe get a range expander? Ask anyone at any Best Buy, Circuit City, or anything of the like. Describe the situation and ask about a range expander compatible with the router. If the problem with the internet is the distance from the router (which is the case at my girlfriends house, so it's entirely possible), then that will fix the problem.

4. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes but doesnt the airport need to be connected to another airport in order to extend the network?? Will it work with this linksys and other windows computers?

5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

If jer is right, then try what I originally posted. I have heard very good things about range expanders fixing problems similar to yours. As long as a weak signal to the computer is the problem, anyway.