Wireless Router & Adapter Suggestion

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zflauaus, Jun 26, 2006.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I have a wireless adapter for my Windows box that is losing packets left and right. I don't need WPA protection as I live in the country not around anyone smart enough to crack WEP. I would like something under $50. Any suggestions?

I also have a router, the Microsoft MN-700 (I was young and nieve), that is dying and I hate it because everytime power goes out, settings are gone. I've been looking for a new router and have narrowed it down to 4. I would like suggestions on these:

Linksys 802.11g Wireless Router Model: WRT54G ($49.99)
    Netgear 802.11g Wireless Router Model: WGR614 ($49.99)
    D-Link 802.11g Wireless Router Model: WBR-1310 ($39.99)
    Belkin Wireless-G Router with 4-Port Switch Model: F5D7230-4 ($39.99)

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I have a Linksys Router. (Not Sure Of The Model) I would go with Linksys just because it has worked fantasticly for me for sometime now. Their support is great too, I think they have a 24/7 Live Chat on their site. I also feel that the quality of it is just great. Just my opinion.;)

Good Luck, Kevin

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. lonelemur90 macrumors member

lonelemur90

definitely linksys, but i would go with their wireless N router. compatable with a, b, and n adapters even though they dont even make an n adapter yet. its 4 times as fast as g is and the backwards compatability means it will be current for a long time as the standard g ones are going away in about a year.

5. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Id go for the WRT54GL, the WRT54G's they sell now suck due to the firmware.

6. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

I would love to get the Wireless N stuff, but alas, I don't have $130 to burn. I should have clarified the router part. I would like to spend only around $50, but I can go up to around $70. Anybody have suggestions?

7. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Actually, N adapters are now available. We got them in about a week and a half ago at Office Depot (where I work). As for the OP question, I'd go with Linksys. I've always recommended them above all other companies based on their customer service. They will typically help people even if their product is out of warranty, and it's 24/7. Linksys all the way.

8. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay, we got the router planned out, the Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS.

Anybody have suggestions for an adapter?

9. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Well, if you have an extra USB port open and don't feel like getting inside your computer go with the matching USB adapter for the respective router you choose. If not, go with the PCI card. Just remember, if you buy the router with SpeedBooster a typical 102.11G card will not reap the benefits of the SpeedBooster (which really isn't all that big of a deal anyways).

10. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I need a USB adapter because my current machine is filled with a Modem, Video Card, and a TV Tuner. I don't really care about SpeedBooster, I was just looking at WPA protection. But eh, I might not get a new router right now anyways.