Wireless Router Advice Netgear vs Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by The_Wall, Dec 7, 2003.

1. The_Wall macrumors member

Hey, I was wanting to get a little advice on a wireless router and figured this was the best place. I am debating between a Netgear Wireless 802.11 G or the cheaper Airport Extreme base station.

I need help because my parents own a PC, and I do not know which of these will be most compatible with my Powerbook and our PC. I will take all the help and advice available.

Thanks

The_Wall

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Get the Netgear. The Airport Base Station is way overpriced, and doesn't get very good reception. Any 802.11b/g product you buy will be compatible will any computer, Mac or PC. In other words, don't worry about wireless compatibility.

3. alxths macrumors 6502

Did you say the apple one was cheaper??

If it is just for general usage, i bought a netgear 802.11b one for around $120 cdn and it's more then enough. The max is what, like 11 mbs? I'll never even come close to that speed. Of course, its a different story if your constantly transferring large files over a network.

just my imput

4. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

I too bought the Netgear 802.11b, not g, because I found it on Amazon for $35 after rebates! It works perfectly with my G5 and my fiancé's iBook. I can't imagine why anyone would buy Apple's Airport Base Station. I'm sure it works equally fine, but the price is ridiculous. Go with the Netgear. And if you aren't using a network to share huge files, save yourself a bundle and get 802.11b. You'll never notice a difference.;)

5. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

I will say though - its nice to have the USB port on the Apple airport

wireless printing has been great

do any other Wireless routers have the USB plugin?

6. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

As the Kent State IT person said, "Airport looks cool and all, but why would I pay that kind of money for a product that I can get for 100 dollars less and works better?"

7. The_Wall thread starter macrumors member

I just wanted to tell everyone thanks for all their help, and that I am going to buy the netgear router.

Thanks

The_Wall