Wireless Router and Hard Wire?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thechris69, Aug 8, 2006.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    As I am waiting for the iMac's to be updated so I can purcahse one, I have one dilemma ahead of me...

1) My house is on a wirless network, my Dad has a belkin wireless router in his office in the basement.
    2)My room on the top floor will be the future home of my imac
    3) All wireless routers arent perfect, and are prone to dropping connection, slowing down, or low signal

So is it possible to hard wire my future imac from the belkin wireless router all the way in the basement, without interupting my internet bill?

I heard in order to do this you would have to contact your internet provider (Bell in my case) and pay for an extra internet bill every month in order to do this... is this true?
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    If the router has regular LAN ports in addition to the antenna (many do), running a cable should work just fine. Okay, it may not be fun to pull the cable, but that's beside the point :D

What internet providers don't want you to do is, say, try to plug two routers or PCs directly into their side of the connection. Your side of the router is generally yours.