wireless router for a macbook pro in UK PLEASE HELP??????????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMatt89, Oct 26, 2006.

1. iMatt89 macrumors newbie

iMatt89

hi

im looking to buy a wirless router for a cable modem (NTL) i live in the uk, im looking to buy a router with good range and is really easy to use and set up. i have no clue of what makes are good or bad has anyone got any advice of what is worth a look at?????????:confused:

thanks

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I use a Linksys WRT45G router with my NTL modem. It works just fine.

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I use a netgear router for my sierra-atlantica.

4. kim0785b macrumors newbie

Yeah dont get any net gear routers if you can, bloody nightmare time with them. I used DG834 and DG834gt they both died after about a month, firstly the wireless range, and then the actual routers. Try a D-link, ok ok, they dont look as sexy, and they aren't as cheap but both are about 10 times better. :mad:

5. iMatt89 thread starter macrumors newbie

iMatt89

thanks kim0785b for the advice, anyone else got any recomendation on a good cable mosem wireless router

thanks

6. rmarasa macrumors member

Although you can no longer buy an Airport Extreme in the EU due to hazardous materials... you can buy an Airport Express. Works great for me!

7. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I've had no problems with Netgear routers. I've only had two; DG834g I've given to a mate and it's still going strong – I replaced it with a DG834PN.

Having said that, I've heard good things about ADSL Nation (UK company, great Mac support).

http://www.adslnation.com/

8. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

So far the router hasn't gone out once. I decided to get a netgear because at the time they were cheap and the $49.99 Linksys routers were sold out! :mad: Needless to say, Netgear is going 1 for 1 in my book. 1 crappy router, one good router. I'm almost willing to forgive netgear....eh, maybe not. So long as this router works however, it will be fine.

9. Mhill macrumors member

My girlfriend has NTL Cabel Broard Band and uses a Airpodt and i find it is rather impressive!

10. menziep macrumors 6502a

Belkin Wireless G+ Router

I use it with my NTL Connection and My Mac and had no problems with it,
    had model down but upgraded free when older Router had died, within 2 weeks i had a new router, this is Belkins Lifetime Warrenty! (Its Great!) :)

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I recommend a WRT54G for the Core Duo MacBook Pro and the WRT300N for the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro.

12. drcosmos macrumors newbie

Did you try to run the WRT300N togheter with a Macbook Pro C2D? I consider buying one as I can not make my NAS harddrive to work with my C2D Macbook Pro.

13. Soton Speed macrumors member

WTF? Which materials?