Wireless router for eMac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mish63, Dec 27, 2005.

1. mish63 macrumors newbie

I'm new to this so please bear with me! I just got the Xbox 360 for my son. I also purchased the Xbox 360 wireless network adaptor. But now I need to buy a wireless router to connect to my eMac (Mac OS X). Is the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router compatible with my computer? If not, any suggestions! There's conflicting info regarding their compatibility.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, it should definitely be compatible. There are people here who use it. I've used wired Linksys products. There're hardly any routers from major brands (Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, Belkin, and so on) that don't work with Macs. Some people have had trouble setting up security, but we can help you get through that.

Where did you see the conflicting reports, out of curiosity?

3. mish63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help! On Amazon.com & other retail websites they have customer reviews. Some reviewers state that not all wireless routers work with MACs. It did seem wierd to me but I didn't want to go ahead and buy one if it was true. After the expense of the Xbox 360, network adapter, games & accessories the last thing I want to do is buy a router...but here I go!!

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have the same router and my emac works fine with my wireless home network. Should be no problems with it

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

MACs or Macs? Did it say by chance that not all routers allow for restriction based on MAC addresses? That's something completely different...it's a security technique. Although I'd be surprised if this router cannot do that too.

And sadly, lots of reviewers on Amazon are kind of, erm, well, ahem. Yes. :eek:

6. mish63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah...I hear ya. I'm not very computer savvy so I get easily confused. Thanks for your help.

7. deadlygopher macrumors member

deadlygopher

the wrt54g is a great router. it has great range, and lots of shiny features. if you want to, you can install linux on it, which is generally pointless, but can be cool.

8. Astyl macrumors newbie

I currently have a Powermac G4 (dual 533 mhz) connected by cable to a broadband service via a USB modem.

I would also like to connect an eMac to the Internet through a wireless Linksys router.

Is it possible to connect two computers to the Internet through one router? (one connected wirelessly and the other by cable).

My Powermac is five years old and has no Airport card.( I'll be upgrading soon so don't really want to fork out for one.)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, this is actually exactly what the purpose of a router / switch is. :)

If you have your system working now, you probably do not have to change anything at all to add a wireless computer. There is one check you should do.

Check the IP address on the Mac that is already on the network (System Preferences -> Network -> click on the relevant adapter -> click on TCP/IP tab). This IP address should be of the form 10.0..... or 192.168.... If you have another kind of address, then your router may be acting in gateway mode, which means that it's giving the single IP address to your single Mac, instead of allowing multiple connections, and you will have to reconfigure it. But that's probably not the case.

10. Astyl macrumors newbie

Many thanks for your reply. Just to clarify I've not got a wireless router yet. I'm actually connected to a broadband provider by cable from my desktop Mac via an external modem.

I would like to get a wireless router for my brother's eMac which is not currently connected to the Internet (it's inaccessible via wire to a phone socket).

Just to check: if I get a wireless router (I was looking at a Linksys model) can I connect both the eMac wirelessly and my Powermac with my existing cable. Do I just connect the existing cable from my modem into the router? It currently connects to an ADSL filter then to the phone socket.

Thanks for your help.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, you can do this. Sorry I misunderstood your earlier post. This is how the wiring will look:

ADSL modem -(ethernet cable)-> router -(ethernet cable)-> wired computer

And then the wireless computer will connect, natch, wirelessly. :) So you'll just need a router (such as that Linksys WRT-54G) and one more ethernet cable.

On the back of the router, there will typically be five ethernet ports. Four of them will be together, and will be labelled "LAN" ports or numbered 1-4 or somesuch. The fifth port will be separated and labelled "WAN" or "uplink." The cable from the modem will go into that WAN port and the cable to the wired computer will go to any one of the LAN ports.

12. Astyl macrumors newbie

Hi mkrishnan,

That sounds good. I'll try it out and see how it works out. Many thanks for your help.