Wireless router for Mac and Windows

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Macnewbie1, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Macnewbie1 macrumors newbie

Hi

I was hoping someone will point me in proper direction here ..... i am waiting for next upgrades to the pawerbook and in the meantime I was upgrading my DSL home networking to wireless. What routers besides Airport base station would be well suited for both OSes. I don't know how Airport base station is but it sure is pricey for an extra USB port. I was leaning towards 3Com router or US Robotics routers (both 802.11g). Does anyone have any other suggestions ..... I sure would like to connect my printer to wireless base station so that everyone can print from their own computers...

Any help would be welcome ......

2. josepho macrumors regular

Although it doesn't have any facilities for printing (unless you've got a networkable ethernet printer), I've had a good experience with the Netgear router, which is also 802.11g. That was with an Airport Extreme enabled iBook and a Windows ME PC with Belkin 802.11g card.

Cheers!

3. stuuke macrumors regular

I'm looking for the same thing. I've got two pc laptops and one mac. A fast wireless router with a printer server would be great. Any suggestions?

4. brhmac macrumors regular

5. advres Guest

advres

i second the D-link. I run my PB wirelessly and my two roomates have their PC's hooked up via ethernet. We have never really had problems with it.

6. stuuke macrumors regular

Is there any advantage of using the Apple base station? It cost 4x as much. Does the dlink have a print server?

7. Macnewbie1 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Macnewbie1 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is one thing I was looking at .... Dlink doesn't have a print server .... and even for apple base station, the wireless printing works only with the selected few (given on apple's website)

So the option is either to buy HP print server or Dlink print server with the printer ..... i want to buy one of those laser all-in-one kind of deal so that i can use it for home as well as business purposes ..... However, if you buy a printer with built-in print server, it costs too much $$$

9. rstroud macrumors regular

I was looking at getting a wireless router too, but I need a Wireless B solution, the D-Link is pretty cheap, but has anyone had a Linksys router? I've got a wired one now and have had no trouble with it.

10. debo macrumors regular

I do, it took a while to set up, but since then no troubles. Haven't touched it in a year.

11. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I am using the Netgear WGT624 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router. It runs without a hitch for both my wife's IBM ThinkPad and my PowerBook. The really cool thing about it is that it will run my PB at the 802.11 G speed while my wife's TPad runs on the 802.11 b standard. It's only dropped signal once on my PB in the 4 months we've had it running. No print server built in but I use a desktop it's hooked up to as a print server relay. The Netgear was $100 with a $20 rebate - just got the rebate 2 weeks ago after a 3 month wait. I highly recommend the NetGear

12. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I also have Netgear, and live in Chicago, and my wife has a ThinkPad. I better ask my wife about you, I'm getting real suspicious. :confused:

Did you take my rebate?

By the way, the Netgear works great, but I can't stand their support. (Out of India, like a lot of others. They really were of no help when I had a set up problem on a Dell laptop.)