Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Hi there, I am the only one in my entire household that uses a mac (all othere PC's.) Okay so heres my problem I own an iBook G4 and I cannot go go on the internet on it but all of the other PC users can. I went to the apple Genius Bar to see if they could help, they took a big chunk out of the problem, but it all depends on the time because sometimes i can go onthe internet and sometimes I cannot, here is the list of my wireless router details

Linksys Wireless-B
2.4GHz 802.11B
Model. BEFW11S4
We use Comcast High-speed internet

So if any of you guys can tell me any way to fix the problem, change a setting in my ibook G4, or which wireless router would work with both PC's and macintosh's.

Thanks,
macluver101

I

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
macluver101 said:
I own an iBook G4 and I cannot go go on the internet on it but all of the other PC users can. i can go onthe internet and sometimes I cannot, here is the list of my wireless router details

Linksys Wireless-B
2.4GHz 802.11B
Model. BEFW11S4
We use Comcast High-speed internet

which wireless router would work with both PC's and macintosh's.

How far away is your iBook from the wireless router? Is there any change in your success rate at connecting depending on how far away you are from the router? Is there anything that might be causing EMI (interference) in the room that your iBook is in?

All routers should work with Macs and PCs. Your Linksys should be fine. Is the "Linksys Wireless-B" mean that it only uses wireless b and not g?

MacMyFast

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2006
Chicago, IL
Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix your problem, but I can say that I use the same exact router and have had no problems using 2 pcs and one mac.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
It's pretty close to it

We got this wireless router from a pc user who switched to a mac because it didnt work with her pbook.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
macluver101 said:
We got this wireless router from a pc user who switched to a mac because it didnt work with her pbook.

Do you have the latest firmware update installed for your Linksys router?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I had that same exact LinkSys router and it worked fine with like 3 Macs and the occasional PC... until it died.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
There should be not any problem for you to connect to that router. Since wirlesss b/g is a standard and it has nothing to do if you using a mac or windows pc.

Make sure your router or iBook is not sitting right next to a wireless phone or station. Stay also away from microwaves and cellphones. Those devices all can interfere with your signal.

Is your signal of your router still good. I used to have a D-Link router that always dropped the wireless signal (when it was on it's way out).

You also could go into the setup on your router and set a different channel and see if that works.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
Are you using WEP or WPA? Are you using MAC address filtering? Have you tried connecting to the wireless router by going to "Other..." typing the network name in and connecting? Have you tried turning off all the PCs and trying to connect with the iBook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.