Wireless router for Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by spatel, Sep 5, 2004.

1. spatel macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am a newbie to this site and also to the mac world. I have recently bought myself a v.nice PB G4 and I would like to access the internet without having the all the cable wires attached.

I am sure that this has already been covered in the forum many times, but, I would any new advice that I can get. I am not sure which wireless router to go for. Do I go the apple route or go with the cheaper non-apple brands. At this stage I really only need it for accessing the web in and around the flat (which is not v. big) and so probably don't need the top of the range router. However, I would like to get one that is reliable, compatible with the G4 and also one that provides a reliable reception..etc

So your advice would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks

2. rstroud macrumors regular

I've got D-Link DI-524, a wireless-g router. I use it for both my Inspiron 1100 (yuck) and my Digital Audio G4 with Airport. The reception is great and I really enjoy the freedom of surfing the web from my couch or the kitchen. The only problem is, I wish I had a powerbook or an Ibook, but hey, that's life. I have used both Linksys and D-Link routers and can vouch for both brands on the basis of signal strength and options. The Linksys router we used (can't remember the model, it was a "B" though), you could "aim" the signal using the web based config tool, but I didn't find it very effective. All in all, I would love to have an airport base station, but my 49.00 (after rebate) D-Link serves me just fine!

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I got a netgear router for 30 bucks after rebate and it works great. easy to configure and the signal seems pretty strong.

4. vkapoormd macrumors member

i use the D link 624; you could go with the 524 or another d link model; i think they all basically use the same technology, and have excellent signal strength & range. I went through 3 or 4 routers (including the Apple airport extreme base station, the linkys ones, and then finally D link); I can honestly say the Airport has terrible signal strength and is way overpriced. I would go for a D link; you PB should have no problem picking it up.. Good luck
    :cool:

5. Darbydoggy macrumors newbie

I just bought a Netgear WGT624, and it works great. Setup was very easy, signal is strong and it has all firewall and security formats available. It is b, g, and "super g" (108Mbs) compatible. Look for sales and rebates (~$60 after all savings).

6. dav macrumors 6502

Linksys WRT54G is a lovely piece of equipment

7. iDu macrumors newbie

I've got the D-Link DI-524 and its been excellent. I had Wireless G Linksys (WRT54G) but it had problems with the signal randomly dropping off, or losing internet connectivity. Even though I had those problems with the Linksys, I think mine was a rare instance as all of my friends have Linksys routers and they love them.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have a netgear and haven't been all that happy with it... not great signal strength, and sometimes a lose the signal for a few secs. I wouldn't really recommend it.

9. sb11710 macrumors newbie

I have a D-Link DI-614 and It's good. If you are going to just surf the web and not trade files from computer to computer on your network you could get a router with 802.11b.

10. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I have a D-Link DI-624. It's a great backbone for my network. It's reliable, I never have any problems, and it's got a good signal strength. You can also remove the antenna, and replace it with a stronger one if you so desire.

11. Celeron macrumors 6502a

12. Porsche macrumors newbie

I have an older Linksys BEFW11S4 which has worked great for years. I have three computers (including my iBook) connected wirelessly, and two more connected with ethernet cables. The router never skips a beat, and the web-based configuration utility is easy to use.

Good luck!

13. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Fry's has a free-after-rebate Belkin 802.11g router today. (Not sure if you're near a Fry's, though?) I personally haven't seen good experiences with Belkin routers, but you can't argue with free. :)

I have an SMC 802.11b router that works fine. It's not terrific and incredible, but the range is decent and it was only ~$30 (rebate). It doesn't choke and drop your connection, EVER -- I like that.

14. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I have a Beklin router and I could not be happier. I did go for the 802.11b model but I got a $10 instant rebate and a $20 mail in rebate. The final price was $10. For that price I could not go wrong. Under Internet Connection I can get as little as 4 bars and still have a very stable signal. I have never lost my connection. Another perk about the Beklin router is that it is configurable by web page or by software. They even include software for OS X.

The only problem now is my school does not allow personal routers. I have brodcasting turned off, a wep password set, and i have cloned the MAC address from my PB onto the router so I hope they do not catch it.

15. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

hey dude what kind of modem do you have? 10/100?....because for what i've heard netgear doesn't work very well with 10/100 modems .......

16. Darbydoggy macrumors newbie

I have a 10/100 ethernet card in my PC wired to the Netgear, and the Powerbook is using airport extreme card wirelessly. My service feeding the netgear is verizon DSL (through their Westell DSL modem). All is working great. Both computer consistently get 1.2 - 1.3MBs according to Cnet speed test. My connection is constant with no rebooting or resets at all yet. The wireless is strong (I still get ~80% signal at around 50ft away in my backyard through the walls). I am really happy with it.

To be clear, this is the Netgear WGT624 v.2 with firmware updated the first time I set it up.

17. bobpensik macrumors regular

18. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

cool, because i need to buy a wireless router and i really don't know which one to buy........it's like all of them have something good or bad................how much did you paid for the netgear router? some people say it's pricey........is this true?

and i've heard that they have problems with 10/100 connecton modems...

19. Darbydoggy macrumors newbie

No problems here yet. I paid 59.99 (79.99 up front at comp usa w/ a $20 rebate weeks later). Search the net, though, I have seen this for ~60 in more than one place online.

20. kant macrumors 6502

Staples has them on sale this week for $80 with a $50 mail in rebate. Can't tell you how it works 'cause I haven't recieved the airport extreme card yet. :)

21. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

I have this router and it runs HORRIBLY with my brand new Powerbook.

I would proceed with Caution.

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

I have the Linksys WRT54G and it works beautifully with my older Powerbook w/Airport, as well as my iMac and Airport Extreme.

23. GroverDoc macrumors newbie

Many choices...

I will add another vote for the D-link DI-624. I have been using it without any problems with my new PB. I looked at quite a few forums dealing with the different wireless routers before I bought and I ended up getting the D-link because of a rebate. My advice is to get a router from a reputable company (like those mentioned in this thread) and keep your receipt. If you don't have experience with wireless networks, be patient and expect a few problems during setup, but for a home wireless network it should be fairly straightforward.
    ...And use a password to protect your network.

R

24. vita_kk macrumors newbie

vita_kk

My vote is for DI-524. It's very easy to configure, and give you no trouble at all for mac users. The price is quite cheap as well.

Only drawback is that the distance is not that great. My router is at my room, once I tried bring my PB to the front yard of my house and try the signal was too weak....I had a hard time connecting to it....

25. spatel thread starter macrumors newbie

Wireless router for powerbook

Thanks to all the people who wrote in the thread with their advice/comments.

Sounds like the D-link or the Link-sys maybe the way to go.

Cheers :) :)