wireless router for under $50?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bill4588, May 22, 2006.

1. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2006
    Kennesaw, GA
    Hey all! I'm getting a MacBook this week for graduation (and it kills me that it's downstairs in a closet waiting to be opened!....parents dont know that I know lol). I would like to get a wireless router (for under $50) so I can go all over the house with my MacBook. I have Bellsouth DSL. First I would like to know if wireless routers work well with PPPoE connections (where you have to connect with a UN and password). And which one do you recommend? I did some research online for reviews but they all seem to be mixed and it just confused me even more.
  2. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    i'm pretty sure most wireless routers will do as you want-
    a) work w/ the macbook
    b) allow you to put a password on it
    c) work w/ your DSL

i'm not sure- however- what the "UN" means

(self promotion...shameless:)
    i'm selling one:
    (for under $50)
    it is a d-link DI-524
  3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    I've used a D-Link DI-614+ (discontinued) and a Linksys WRT-54G with BellSouth. I got each for $49, one in '03 and the second a few months ago.

You'll probably be fine with any router from a name brand company. The more expensive ones just do the same thing in fancier, more cutting-edge ways, and it's usually not worth it.

A low-end router from D-Link, Linksys, or Netgear will do you more than enough. And as far as PPPoE, it won't make a difference to the end-user.

4. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2006
    Kennesaw, GA
    hey thanks! oh and UN means username....i guess I shouldnt be so lazy lol. sent you a PM....
  5. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Apr 16, 2005
    Laguna Beach
    Not to be a bust, but Compusa usually has sales on really good routers, check them out cause you'll get a 1 year warranty which is always good.:)