Wireless router help/iTunes problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jucie, Aug 1, 2006.

1. jucie macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2006
    Kansas City, MO
    I would like to set up a wireless router to use with my new Nintendo DS lite, but I really have no idea how to go about it.

I looked around in my house and found an old Netgear WGR614v6 wireless router I got about a year ago, when buying a PC. I struggled with it for hours and never did get it to work back then. So I thought that maybe, just maybe, it might work with my iMac. But no such luck. Guess it only works with PC's.

So what I'm looking for is a wireless router compatible with an iMac G4 that can be bought for $50 or less. If anybody has any suggestions please share them with me.:)

Another issue i'm having is with iTunes. When adding album artwork, a couple of times I've added the wrong album cover to a particular song. It will let me add another cover to the same song, but I can't seem to figure out how to delete the one put there in error without deleting the whole song. It's really no big deal, but its been bugging me for a while now.

2. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    Check your local craigslist. You might be able to find someone seling their wireless for cheap and you can pick it up from them.

Most wireless routers work with Macs. I never heard of any router not working with a Mac. If it works on a PC, it should work on a Mac. Are you sure that your router isn't encrypted? Try plugging the router next to your iMac. Click on the airport icon and see if it finds the router. If it doesn't, then there is something wrong with your router.

Also, since you mentioned about the iMac G4....does it have an airport card in it?

You can delete artworks on songs. You have to select the song....press control and click on your mouse..... choose "Get info"...... select "artwork" tab.....then select the wrong artwork and choose delete.
    This is for the latest version of iTunes from what I know.

Hope that helps you.
  3. jucie thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2006
    Kansas City, MO
    well the router i found came with some installation cd...and when i put the cd in the imac it just did nothing. isn't that a sign that it will not work?

and no my imac doesn't seem to have an airport card. when i opened system profiler to check, i clicked on Airport card and a message popped up and said "no information found."

thanks for the help with my itunes question!
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Mmmm, I hate to say this, but there's nothing wrong with your Netgear (unless of course it's defective). And no other router, with the possible exception of one made by Apple (AEBS or Airport Express) is going to be any easier to use than your Netgear. So you either have to learn what you're doing, or spend more than $50 to get an Apple one....

You don't need the installation CD. There should be a "quickstart" guide that folds out that's inside the box. Follow the directions -- you just need your router, an ethernet cable (sometimes the first configuration must be done by wire), and a web browser.
  5. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    No. Just a sign that the CD is only for Windows.

The actual router configuration is done via your favorite Web browser and should be easily done on your iMac. Here's a link to the manual for your router http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/wgr614v6_ref_man_20Apr05.pdf

Q: What's your current configuration. Maybe you would be better off trying to use it as a wireless access point instead of a router. http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    you can get a wireless-g router for under 50 at best buy or circuit city or compusa or newegg.com. i see them all the time in the sunday ads. my d-link works fine with my mac mini and the other windows pcs i have around the house (laptops, mostly). a friend of mine has a linksys for his 2 macs and an HP pc so i think those are good too. finding one for under 50 shouldn't be hard, though.
  7. jucie thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2006
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks for all your help guys! I think I have it working now.:D