Wireless router or AE?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cyks, Mar 17, 2004.

1. cyks macrumors 68020

Jul 24, 2002
    Westchester County, NY
    I should be buying a laptop soon- either the 12" iBook or the 12"PBook (depending if they update the line soon- and I can get an "older" one cheap).... I have roughly $1k to drop on a laptop- so really hoping they update the PBook line soon so I can get a G4 1Gz 12" for about that...
    It'll be my "backup/mobile" computer for surfing the net in the kitchen (looking up recipies while cooking :) as well as writing and surfing at the local Borders/Starbucks... I have a desktop so real power isn't an issue.

But anyway- I have a few desktops and soon the laptop. Currently, it's all just online via a wired Linksys router- but with the laptop, I'll have to change that. So- do I just get a typical wireless router and cards for my other machines- or is it really worth spending the extra $ to get it all on Airport? Since there is a big price difference...advice?

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    You only need wireless cards for the machines which will be connected wirelessly, which means your laptop, as I took it. Any wireless router will do, as long as it matches the wireless protocol of your card(s). I believe you are stuck with airport (or AE) cards for the mac, but if you are looking at a 12" PB, you might get a deal with it included...below are some helpful threads about wireless routers and the like...good luck

3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    The Airport Extreme base station has a USB port on the back for easily networking printers or other USB devices. Hence the higher price.

Interesting system requirements listed at the bottom of the AE base station page:
    (3) Wireless printing over USB requires Mac OS X v10.2.73 or later and a compatible printer.

Does anyone else know what 10.2.73 is?