Wireless Router Set Up & Buying Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stumbeleine01, Oct 4, 2006.

1. stumbeleine01 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    i want to hook my mac which is a Blue iMac (450mhz) to the net via a wireless network. I have a PC downstairs which as the broadband (cable) connected to it.

How can i get my mac online which is upstairs? Has anyone got any advice? I don;t want to buy the wrong equipment & i'm unsure about which wireless router to buy as i need to connect my pc modem to it ithink? Unless anyone knows otherwise? Basically i'm lost haha. Any advice or links to products which are suitable for what i want would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Ive had some feedback from various people but they weren;t sure about whether you could link between a PC & a mac, then they weren't sure about hooking my cable modem to a router... any ideas? Cheers in advance.:)

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Make sure your mac is wireless ready first. I rather like the linksys wireless G routers.

You will have to connect your modem and other computers to the router but the wireless G router has wired and wireless options..good luck:)

Bless

3. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

4. ecopod macrumors member

I tried a couple of routers with iMac, Dell & Toshiba laptops and PSP. Went for the Netgear DG834PN and it has been perfect. Has built in modem so no need to plug seperate modem in. It was a joy to set up and recognised/was recognised by other devices first time, also no dead spots.

Also has hypnotic blue flashy lights on top, worth the money for them alone.

5. stumbeleine01 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do i go about that? How do i find out? Sorry to seem daft haha. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

6. stumbeleine01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks again to everyone i've ordered the Linksys WRT54G Router & Belkin 802.11g Wireless G USB Network Adapter. According to my firnd that should be fine & he's sent me something to install on my mac also.

Hope it all works!

Cheers again!