Wireless Router

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JzzTrump22, May 29, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I'm trying to convince my dad to replace the old 4 port Linsys router with a new wireless router so i can use my PB around the house. Can you guys give any suggestions as to what wireless G routers to look at and consider. I don't want to spend more than around $80. If you can find a good router for cheaper and it works with both PC and Mac then post it. It also has to have 4 ports so my dad can continue using is other machines that have to be plugged in to an ethernet wire. Basically No more than $80 and it has to have wireless G and 4 wired ports that can be used simultaneously. Eventually i'm going to get a bridge and use it to hook up my xbox, so thats why i need the G.

2. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Get the Linksys Wireless Router.

$80.99 at BEST BUY. This has 4 wired ports and can connect PCs and Macs together.

Got my parents a Linksys wireless for their Mac mini and PC and it was a snap to hook up and connect to. The PC is wired and the Mac uses Airport to connect. Great range too!

:D

3. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

I was going to suggest a Linksys myself. I got it for my family to network their Pc's and my sister's ibook. Here it is at Newegg for a little cheaper than at best buy. I've bought tons of stuff from them, and they have excellent customer service ,and cheap shipping. They also have one for about 15 bucks cheaper, with all the same features except WPA protection, which is a more secure wireless protocol.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I think DLink's are a bit easier to upgrade from a mac in my opinion. however, linksys are great routers.

5. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Linsys was going to be my first choice and I know my father's first choice would probably be Linsys as well just because we have had so many positive experiences with them. $60 after rebates sounds like a pretty decent price over at Newegg. I've ordered from them quite a few times and they give nothing but the best service. Also, whats the difference between the router that was posted above and this one besides the price, they seem to be the same thing? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010
    I need one that has solid security because my dad doesn't want anyone hacking into our network or anyone even getting acces to the internet through the wireless.

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Then make sure all of your client computers can handle WPA - if you're using WEP then it's hackable if someone is determined to do it. WEP is fundamentally flawed

The routers mentioned above will all do WPA. They may or may not be upgradable to what's being called "WPA2" (the finalized 802.1x security model), but practically speaking that probably doesn't matter.

Also, pick a good WPA password/passphrase. 20+ characters should do it. That shouldn't be a problem since you don't have to remember it after you've set it up the first time.

7. dav macrumors 6502

Definitely the WRT54G... Upgrade the firmware and you are set!

Use the Sveasoft firmware. (Another Source)

It is free under the GPL and it has more features than anyone needs. My favorite is pumping up the wireless signal so I can get full signal throughout the house.

Enjoy.

8. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Holy crap thats awsome. Is this firmaware compatible for both pc and mac? Or does the firmware go right onto the router its self?

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

thanks

10. Mo Tiggas macrumors member

What kind of range will be seen with the LYNKSYS WRT54G and the WRT54GS. I have a newer two-story brick house... any problems getting a decent signal upstairs? Any tricks to boost the signal, besides updating the Firmware as mentioned before?

11. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I also reccommend the WRT54G. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER get a NETGEAR MR814 router. I've had so many replacements. :mad:

12. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies, I just put the order in for the Linsys, it came out to $59 then i get a $10 rebate, basically $49 all together.

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

location location location. place is very important. copper pipes and water heaters = bad.

you could also get a bigger antennae. there is many kinds. also, there are wireless repeaters that can help as well. http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=629&scid=38

14. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Wow the guy who codes/rampages for Sveasoft is quite a d*ck. I almost feel compelled to try to get even with this guy for what a bastard he is to the guy who's posting the binaries. What do you think macrumors people, shall we get this guy?

15. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

He is quite a dick, but not sure what could be done about it. Any ideas?

If anyone else is curious what we're talking about check this out.

16. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

About the firmware, what firmware should one use if they are just looking for a stable additive?

17. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Well I see three options;
    1, we could go legal and see what could be done about him breaking the GPL, for charging for and opensource project
    2, we could do something relatively passive like email him telling him he isn't very nice and the like.
    or 3, we could step it up and bomb his mail and try to mess with his website.

18. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Or someone with connections to the european Mafia could intimidate him. I could go either way.

19. slb macrumors 6502

To this day, I've never gotten Internet Sharing on my Mac mini to work for either my Airport-enabled iBook or my wireless enabled PC across the house. All the computers see and access each other just fine, but I've never gotten the Mac mini to share its dialup modem connection, even over firewire to my iBook, and I've given up. I'm using a Linksys Wireless Router. Other than that, it's been a great little router.

20. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Thats odd, I use my G5 to share it's internet litterally all the time (reason I could use a router). For me, its cable and thus my lan which will be shared, so maybe thats the difference.

21. mersea macrumors regular

This wireless lynksys you're all talking about, would it be possible to connect a computer through a wire as well? I have an old PC that doesn't support wireless...

22. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I'm going to give a vote to Belkin Routers. I have a Wireless B router and find it great. I connect my pc wired and my PB wirelessly to all the time and have no problems with it. Also, check around for deals. At the time I bought my router it was selling for $60. I got 2 rebates which knocked it down to $10. What a deal.