Wireless Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bazotic, May 10, 2006.

1. bazotic macrumors newbie

bazotic

I am buying the 17MBP and I need a router. What is the best one on the market? I'll need it for a small apartment, so I don't have to be connected to the modem when I want to get on the net.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Since you have an Mac, and a smaller area, I would go with an Apple Airport Express. It isn't the cheapest, but it is incredibly easy to setup and manage (no third party software to install). Plus, Airtunes is just plain cool. :cool:

Edit: and it looks nicer :)

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

4. bazotic thread starter macrumors newbie

bazotic

On the airport, would i need the regular one with airtunes or the one with the modem and antenna port?

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Since you said this would be for a smaller apartment, you wouldn't need the external antenna port. Also, I'm assuming you have High-Speed (and not dial-up)? If so, you wouldn't need the modem.

I would get the Airport Express (which features AirTunes). The Extreme would just be overkill IMO.

6. bazotic thread starter macrumors newbie

bazotic

Great, thank you. That's what I'll do. I had been looking at the Airport, but I didn't know if it was what I needed. Oh and yes, I have high-speed.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I have the Airport Express and I've been very happy with it. The range isn't great, but it should be enough for your needs.