Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BPK1984, May 17, 2004.

1. BPK1984 macrumors newbie

What do you guys use? The ae basestation seems steep compared to non apple products.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm in a college dorm and use a dlink 614. I paid $30 on sale. It works like a charm. My roomate has an ae. I'll sacrifice the fact that he has a "print server" on his router and I don't for the fact that I can go down to our friends room (about 175 feet) and still use my wireless and he can't use his.

3. BPK1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I have this router in the 802.11G version, and i got it for like $40 from amazon.com.. its EXELLENT and i love it. Go with netgear or linksys... The Airport BS is overpriced.

7. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, my neighbor (I don't know which one) is running an unsecured Netgear that I could use. Still, the ease of configuration and print server work nicely for me. Besides, it's so cute and white. :p

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

And expensvie as all hell. It would be cheaper to buy another brand and get some spray paint.

9. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

What is the difference between b and g?

I have an airport extreme card in my iBook. Which kind of router do I need? One that ends in 'b' or one that ends in 'g'?

10. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

airpotr extreme is a "g" standard. A B basestation would work, but only at B speeds. For the internet, you probably wouldn't see a difference. For network file sharing, you'd see a big difference.

11. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

12. DGFan macrumors 6502a

True, but for the prices people are bandying about here you don't get a print server. The only print server I could find from DLink goes for $120. Other manufacturers have similar prices.

I have done quite a bit of checking online and heard many more horror stories with DLink/Linksys/etc. Maybe they're all idiots. Heck, I don't know.

What I *do* know is that for $60 more I got an easy to install and configure wireless print server.

13. vwguy macrumors member

If you choose either Netgear or Linksys, you are good to go. I tried both of them and they work out just fine....

Well... unless... you have this big lead/steel/iron wall surrounding your house... thats a different story. :rolleyes:

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Or a damn washer+dryer between you and the WAP. I guess it's the ducts in the walls or something because I get a full bar drop on my PB just 12 ft away. Even upstairs get 4 bars. I like my Linksys, a little expensive because I didn't have time to look around (it was like $90) but overall it is good.