Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mem, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Mem macrumors member

My new 15 inch Powebook is arriving on Thursday (yay!) and I'm wondering about internet connections. I have no idea what kind of internet I'm going to be given at school and at first I was just going to wait til school started (not connect the PB to the internet at all during the summer until I got to school). But now I'm thinking the internet would be a necessity (i.e. system updates as soon as it's out of the box) not to mention that I would simply like to be able to conenct to the internet.

At home we just switched to a Cable modem. The modem is hooked up to our only computer- a Windows based PC. So, I'm thinking (although I'm completely clueless about all of this) that I need to buy a wireless router to somehow hook up to the cabel modem (Motorola SB5100 SURFboard Cable modem) so that the signal can be transfered to my PB, right?

Can this be done and just how easy is it? Please note that I have absolutely no idea how this cable modem works. The cable guy set it up and I've just fallen short of placing yellow caution tape around it for fear I would knock a cord loose and never be able to put it together again. Not to mention I've never done anything wireless or anything with a Mac. I don' t think there should be any PC/Mac problems, but I could be wrong. Do I have to set up a "network" in the traditional sense of the word? (I sure hope not)

Is it worth doing this for a month and a half? Do you think I can do it? And will the cable company charge extra now that I'm, accessing the internet from a second computer, or is there no way they can know that?

Can anyone recommend a good router or maybe a good site that can explain this stuff to me since I'm sure everone here is tired of explaining this to every newbie who asks. :D

Thanks

2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

First off, Mac east easy to network. Even in multiple locations. Using the Location Manager you can have a school or home location.

So, at home, You need a wireless router. i am partial to LinkSys. But nearly any brand will work. Plug it into the cable modem, and plug the PC into the Router. Follow router instructions for web based set up. Be sure to set some level of security.

Then the powerbook will now be able to access wireless net with the security (passwords and network name, etc.)

That simple.

If you buy the router separately then they cable company will not charge you. They have no reasonable means to find out if you use a router, and most cannot be bothered to care unless bandwidth is excessive.

The entire process should take, even a newbie, under an hour to configure. The hardest part will be the PC. As you want to use the PPPoE on the router you will need to CHANGE the PC from whatever custom dialing/access software it has to straight ethernet. So, its possible the PC will have more trouble than the Mac connecting.

Good luck.

3. Mem thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice

Any comments on either of these:

Linksys 802.11g Cable/DSL Wireless Router with 4-Port Switch
    Netgear WGR614 802.11g Wireless Router

The Netgear one is about $40 cheaper. I don't need anything fancy, would the netgear one be easy to set up with the powerbook and the pc? Also, this would be able to operate with a current airport card, right? People don't seem to be giving it rave reviews over at Amazon which makes me a little nervous, but then again, you can't believe everything you read!

4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I have USED the Linksys and its great. I have NOT used the Netgear. I have never had any issues with the LinkSys.

Since you want ease of use, I would say go with the tried and proven LinkSys system.

That said, there is no reason a NetGear should NOT work. But I have never used it.