Wireless Routers/Linksys

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lovitt, Dec 4, 2003.

1. lovitt macrumors newbie

Hello,

I currently have a Linksys DSL Router that 3 computers running 10.2 are using and have been for awhile with little problems. I want to get/add a wireless router but need one with 3-4 ports. The simple thing seems to be to add a Linksys access point to my router. The problem is that I called Linksys and they do not support MACS so I'm not sure if this will work well and if i can password protect it. Has anyone else doe this. If not, does any one suggest a good wireless router with ports? The Airport only has one port and is pricey. Any help would be great.

-Brian

2. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

Linksys doesn't support the Mac, but that just means they won't give you any official tech support -- their products work fine, and they're fairly popular. i'm running a Linksys model WRT54G, which is a wireless G router and carries 4 ethernet ports. no need to add an access poin to your router when you can get one box that does it all.

edit: and yes, you'll be able to set up security with a Linksys wireless router.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

How's that router working for you slim? It's on my Christmas list :D

4. lovitt thread starter macrumors newbie

So do you all think it would be better for me just to get a new router than to get the acess point thing? If I just get the new router, do I hook them together (the old and new one) or just use the new one?

Do you use the web panel to set the password and such?

Thanks for everyones help.

5. makingmesick macrumors newbie

Check the prices dude. An access point costs about the same as an 802.11b router. If you want a 802.11g router, then it will cost you more. I would still go with the router instead. One box does it all. And... you could put up the old router on Ebay or something.

6. lovitt thread starter macrumors newbie

Would hooking the old one and new one together make much sense? Will the wireless one work well with the Apple Airport cards?

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I am kinda confused on your post, on you first post you said you want a wireless router with three or four ports? so you want to keep you existing computers on a wired connection and have wi-fi connection as well, in addition to your wired connection. This is how i am understanding your first post.

well the easiest way would be jsut get a 802.11g wireless router.
    http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=508

it has 4 ports and 802.11g. you can keep you existing connection because i assume you already have a router, so you just have replace the router with this. everything will be the same expect your'll just have to switch the router with your new wireless router.

Either with a access point or wireless router, all you need to is disable the dhcp server on the wireless router, because you wired router will have the dhcp enabled, and handle the ip address. (this all assume you have a wired router) then just have to setup your wireless setup.

the great thing about 802.11 standards is they are standards, so no matter who makes them, they all have to work together. also you should surf a little on the net to find the secure wireless setup for you particular wi-fi router. it will save you some grief later on, if you neighbors kid is downloading from kazaa from your ip address. don't wanna get sued over another as silly as that.

8. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

lovitt: if you get a wireless router like the one i mentioned, you won't need your old one. for instance: my cable modem runs directly into my wireless router. i have an airport card installed in my Mac, so that's what i use. (it works just fine, by the way.) my roommate has a PC laptop with no wireless card, and he just jacks into the back of the router. one box, everyone is happy.

you could get an access point and plug it into your existing router, but there are two possible drawbacks: one, you'll eat up a port on your current router, and it sounds like you're trying to preserve ports. two, like superbovine mentioned, you'll have more tweaking to do with two pieces of hardware.

my linksys acts and performs like any other router, wired or not -- there's no great difference. there's a web-based control panel that probably looks a lot like the one on your current router. there's just an extra set of controls for the wireless settings, most of which you don't need to worry about; just make sure you set up the security.

and counterfit: works like a charm. easy setup, we've got 4 wired and wireless connections and it'll run them with little or no drag. and yeah, the G makes a big difference when you're shooting files back and forth between computers.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's great to hear. My roommate bought the B version to use up here at school, and it's handy having wired and wireless.

10. evil macrumors 6502

my god. cant people learn how to use the forum search function? this topic has been brought up a ton of times already.
    every week theres someone asking the same damn question.