Wireless Routers /passwords

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by liketom, Oct 22, 2004.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

you know it still makes me smile to discover how many people do not put a password on there wireless routers ! last night i connected to 3 wireless networks and got straight into there control areas o yeah i love Belkin 54 lol

So is it me or are these people just silly or down right stupid

i am thinking of getting rid of my Broadband access and using there's lol
    so how many other people in here have had the same experience or is this just me?

tom

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I think that "ignorant" may be a better descriptor. These people generally don't understand the impact of not changing the password or login information (even though it generally says to do so in the user manual).

Personally, I change the user ID, password, and default IP address range so that it is more difficult to find.

What's more interesting, is that many of these routers can be seen over the internet by using the external IP address assigned by an ISP. Even though you may think your neighbors won't bother you, someone halfway around the world probably wouldn't have any issues with screwing with your settings... :eek:

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yeah, alot of people have no security at all on their wireless networks. Usually these people have no idea that is the case!
    Just like the older Airport basestations..... If people just used the config as it was "out of the box", everyone could get access to it.

IMHO: "ease of use" <--------------------------> "security" :D

Find the balance....

4. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Except when dealing with Windows:

"Ease of use"<------------->"Security"<---------------------->"Windows"

:p

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Take advantage of this.

Offer these people your services. For $50 you can show them how to lock down their network, which usually means that you will get repeat business, since at some point they will have computer problems. Then YOU will be their local computer geek to call.

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i live in an apartment bldg at my university and i know about three or four out of the dozen apartments just use other peoples wireless. being the tech-nerd that i am i set up most everyone elses and asked them if they wanted security. a number of poeple declined and said if others wanted to use their internet they would be happy to share. i have even set up someones computer to work on someone elses internet (not in the same apt, but with permision of the ownder of the base station). i currently have two people from the complex but not my apt using my router. i am going to start charging them a monthly fee b/c i first let them on for 'temporary' use. its always nice to share, but i personally dont like using someone elses service when they do not know. if it were up to me, i would put in about 4 access points for the dozen apartments (they are close enough to recieve service) then split it up b/w everyone. unfortunatly i am not business oriented enough for that and would probably end up in violation of a number of ISP contracts if i chared other people money :-/

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Wow, that's bad design. What brands leave the WAN interface enabled by default? The few routers I've had (D-Link and Apple) have that turned off by default - you have to intentionally enable it.

8. noel4r macrumors 6502a

is MAC address enough or do i need WPA or WEP encryption?

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Both MAC and WPA would be most secure, although still hackable.

10. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Spoofing a MAC address isn't that difficult if you've got the right wireless card.

WPA hasn't been hacked - but of course its security is only as good as your password choice. :D Advice I've seen for WPA is pick a 20-character or longer passphrase. Main problem with WPA is not all wireless cards fully support it.