wireless routers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thenewguy, Nov 14, 2006.

1. thenewguy macrumors regular

Oct 25, 2006
    someone I know is selling a Linksys wireless router:

2.4 GHz LinkSys Wireless Access Pointer Router w/ 4-Port Switch $30
    Model No BEFW 11S4 version 3 2.4 GHz 802.11b

I don't know much about wireless. I live in a 3 room apartment, rather small, and would like to still have my wired connection while also having wireless. Will this work? And can I set this up to be just a switch, and not distribute IP addresses? (my college gets mad at that).

Just wondering if this is a decent deal.

2. thenewguy thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 25, 2006
  3. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    Proceed with caution

Read this:

In general, I'm biased against Linksys routers even though I have never used one.

I've used D-Link routersand they worked quite well - never had any problems. I've also used Belkin routers and although it hung and had to be restarted fairly regularly, it was the least expensive option I found (full retail price was $40 at Circuit City).
  4. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2006
    South Australia, Australia
    I don't know about the one you are asking about

I've just purchased a NetGear WPN824 Rangemax wireless router - and it took less than a minute from out of the box to connecting an 800mhz wired iMac and a MacBook C2D wirelessly - and I've never done this before.

The range on this router exceeds my expectations too.

The only thing I don't like on this unit is the blue flashing circle thing in the middle of it - there is a switch you can turn it off and on - but I don't understand the point of it.