Wireless Security

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CubaTBird, Jan 25, 2006.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

I have a question. With all the talk and fuss about joining wireless networks and how more and more cities should support such measures, wouldn't their be potential for security risks? For example, if a user joins his neighbors unencripted network, wouldn't his neighbor realize that a computer has joined his network and that neighbor could even see his or her ip address and with that information who knows what could happen, yes? I would think that free wireless is more a security risk perhaps than anything else. Or am I wrong?:confused:

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

1) Probably not, because if the neighbor had a Clue™, he wouldn't leave the wifi network open for just anyone. However, if someone random did jump on his network, then yes, if he looked for it, yes he could see it.

2) That depends on what you mean. It takes a lot more than an IP address to conjure with a computer. I mean, I can pull 100 IP addresses randomly out of the air right now and it doesn't mean anything.

3. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Wireless and Security in the same sentence, an oxymoron. ;) :D

4. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

what do you mean? are you saying wireless networks are more secure that hard wired ones? or vice/versa?

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Wireless, any type of wireless is not secure period.

I know since this is part of my job. ;)

I have a wired connection. :)

6. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

hmm, so if a mac user who hops onto a windows users wireless network and they BOTH have no firewall on.. could the windows user theoretically see the apple users docs and photos and music etc? or for him/her to see that would they have to be in the public folder?

7. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

No unless you have filesharing enabled on the mac(I think)

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

well, the user would have to be totally ignorant about computer security

which is...half the reason why malware is so prevalent...hmmm

Technically, that's doable. But do most people have a clue how to do that? Not really.

9. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

i guess so, i just thought of it as a bigger security loophole than it probably is.

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I know this has nothing to do with computers,

But here in Canada some places use wireless Debit card machines, so a waiter or pizza delivery guy will swipe your debit card right at your table, or at your front door. I'm always just like, "this can't be secure.."..I won't even use those things anymore.

11. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

There may be some programs that may auto connect you to them. iTunes can share libraries, so if your neighbor has his iTunes to share his library and you start your iTunes you will connect to it, if he tries to close his iTunes he will get a message that a user IS connect asking him if he still wants to quit iTunes. He/She may get suspicious.

No network is 100% secure 100% of the time. But for the average Joe, WEP encryption stop 99% of the people.