Wireless security

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paddy, May 1, 2006.

1. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Hi I've got a Netopia Cayman 3347W wireless router and I recently noticed that our wireless conection is being used by someone outside of my house. I know that its is outside of the house because my connection is via ethernet on the modem as I do not have an airport card or any other wireless computers.

How do I turn the wireless off or turn it to an encrypted connection?

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

You'll have to read your router's documentation to get an answer to that; every brand is different. But generally, you connect to your router through a web browser on one of the computers on your network and change the settings through that interface.

You should also be able to add MAC address filtering, which would actually be more effective than encryption at keeping someone outside of your network out.

3. timmac macrumors member

You may want to head over to http://www.dslreports.com. They have forums for every brand of modem, routers, etc., a wireless forum (and also a mac forum), and they tend to cover this area more in depth than mac rumors.

4. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Thanks for the reply's but all the documentation given to macs relates to airport which I don't have. I have a wireless modem connected via ethernet but I recently noticed that it was being used by someone outside the house. Is there anyway of making sure no-one can use the connection?

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

As said before, the router's documentation will tell you how to disable the wireless. I guarantee it will be in there (ok, I'm 99.9% sure).

6. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

DSL Reports has a whole Netopia forum. Your problem has nothing to do with your computer, so you have no use for the Apple section of their site. It's a simple click or two to disable wireless from the router's administration page...the tricky part is figuring out how to get there (often 192.168.0.1, but the password could be anything).

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

:eek: wow, never seen a setup system like this one has. you have to telnet in. from the quick setup guide, once you get in, you do this;

you can find the quick setup guide here;

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/manuals/3347W-ENT_qsg.pdf

:confused: good luck.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Or just unscrew the antenna.

Edit: at least it's easy to use telnet on a Mac - open up Applications->Utilities->Terminal and type in "telnet 192.168.1.1".

9. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

looks like the non-removable type in the setup guide. unless you get out the hedge clippers...

Edit: good tip on the telnet. sometimes forget that not everyone has a head full of this stuff.