Wireless Solution for Apt. Help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nicely, Apr 7, 2003.

1. nicely macrumors member

Hi everyone,

My roommates and I are looking for a wireless solution for our apt. We have a G4 tower, a 15" PowerBook and a new 15" iMac.

We want to get a third party wireless cable/dsl router that supports Appletalk and at least 128-bit encryption. Which 802.11b or 802.11g routers and cards are compatible? with these computers. All running OS X. We'd love to go with 802.11g, but I dont see and third party adaptors for the iMac and PowerBook. Any ideas? If we stick with 802.11b, which routers are good and support Appletalk and 128-bit encryption?

Thanks for any replies.

Adam

2. jaguarx macrumors regular

From a security perspective 128bit WEP is still weak, other things such as tunnelling, closed networks and locking access to MAC addresses are far more important for security. Keep that in mind when shopping.

3. Cecret macrumors member

I don't know much about the features but my linksys wireless router/hub works great on my macs and friends pc's. But if I was to do it over again I would go with an airport extreem for the external antenna and extra speed (even if I don't use all of it now).

4. skymaXimus macrumors regular

Save youself the headaches and just buy Airport ... trust me, its worth the extra cast!

5. Macpoops macrumors 6502

the AE base stations are just as good as the previous Airport Base Stations. And they are alot cheaper now, Generally 50 bucks more then the competing base stations and oh so much easier to setup and admin.

6. Macpoops macrumors 6502

the AE base stations are just as good as the previous Airport Base Stations. And they are alot cheaper now, Generally 50 bucks more then the competing base stations and oh so much easier to setup and admin. Also if your all running Apple Machines why worry about 3rd party when you can just buy 802.11b airport cards for a much more elegant solution then having to deal with all the drama of unsupported cards and such.

7. nicely thread starter macrumors member

Airport Extreme?

Why spend extra for airport extreme when I can't get an 802.11g card for either the iMac or Powerbook 15"? Or can I?

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Get the Apple AE base station. Even if you can't find a compatible card for your old hardware, I'm certain that you will be able to get them soon enough.

You can also attach a network switch to the base and be able to plug in other network devices, such as printers and NAS.

When Apple updates the 15" PowerBook, I might have to get one. At that time, I will be getting the new Airport base station (AE) and the card for the PowerBook (if it doesn't come installed by default). For general use, web surfing and the like, 802.11b is MORE then fast enough. It's a far cry faster then ANY internet connection you can find at this time (and probably for years).

Also, the Airport base stations are a SNAP to set up and get running. It takes just a moment or two, and you are done. DO read the manual that comes with the base first though (it's thin enough to make for a fast read, unless you are brain damaged).

Oh, and WEP IS weak, no matter what level it claims to be at. You would be better off just making it a closed network so that people have to know the network name and password in order to connect to it. Then again, unless you have sensitive information on your system, and don't shut it down (or log off) when you are done, you don't have to worry about it too much.

I have my own base station set to the highest speed rating, which also reduces the range of the wireless network. With no one in my area with wireless systems, I don't have to worry about things. I also shut my computer(s) off when I am done with them. A moderate amount of intelligent use will make your systems more secure then the WEP encryption.

9. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Re: Airport Extreme?

You can't.

And with Linksys stuff, there is no software to install. All maintenace is done through the web broswer.

http://linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=415

Pricing starts around $70.00 or so.

I am not certain about AppleTalk though...

10. physicsnerd macrumors member

I've had good luck with D-link wireless products in the past. But I don't think that they support appletalk. i did a little poking around online and found this article reviewing wireless for macs, it's a few months old, but most of these are still on the market.

http://www.macworld.com/2002/07/reviews/routers/

physicsnerd

11. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I have the D-link wireless 802.11 router. It is faster than your connection (upto 1.1mbps, which is almost as fast as a T1!). The configuration is very simple and D-link updates their firmware often, which is a very good thing.

Appletalk isnt supported by network hardware, it basically works over TCP/IP with a router.

12. Macpoops macrumors 6502

The AE base stations are cheaper then what the regular Airport stations were. I bought the Airport station when it was 300 dollars now it is down to 199 for the bottom end and 249 on the high end. Cheaper still with the education discount. Old Airport cards are still compatible. Yes, you would be buying 802.11g hardware but it is cheaper then the b hardware and is still compatible also if you upgrade to the G you don't have to spend more money a new base station.

Apple is the simpliest and most elegant solution. quick and painless setup.

13. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

I would have to agree, I would get the Apple AE BaseStation if only for printer sharing and ease of use. That being said, I understad why you want to save money when there are other alternatives. For a fine source, you may want to look at a MacWorld article 2-3 months ago. It really tells you most of the alternatives and I beleive there were some g cards for powerbooks. Although, you may want to remember that most broadband connections get no benefit from g.

14. Sepulchre macrumors member

Just to add my 2p worth.

My cable modem runs into a Linksys 4 port cable router which in turn feeds my static PM and a linksys wireless access point. Both were easy to set-up once the manual had been read. Magazines and internet sources can at times make wireless networking sound very difficult, So I was surprised when I had the whole rig setup and running in less than 30 mins, which included setting up an XP laptop for wireless networking.

Linksys was a cheap option for me and one I'm glad I followed, whilst I can't pass comment upon the Airport set up other users here are using I'm more than happy with my Linksys network.

Linksys also offer a combined 4port router/wireless access point, however this hasn’t received such good reviews as the two separate products.

Hope that helps.

Sep.

edit: As for appletalk, I never use it, all my services run over IP, so I cant offer any help or advice there I'm afraid.

15. agente macrumors newbie

Ive got a netgear 4 port wireless router, all maintenace, port forwarding, etc.. is done through a web interface. Its a pretty nice router, works with appletalk, I'm able to print to our network printer. Access the apple talk server and other machines. (its exactly like being plugged in)

and the range is good too.

16. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

I have a 12" pBook with an AE card and a Dell laptop running XP with built in 802.11G. What do I need to get started...just a AE Base station? I am I thinking about this correctly?

17. Sepulchre macrumors member

Yep or any other 802.11g compatbile base station.

18. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Everything I read leads me to believe that I need the base station hooked up to a desktop...then I can share the bandwith using my laptop...what the hell am I missing?

I just want to hook my cable modem to the airport base and then use both laptop wirelessly...this can be done correct?

19. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

yes.

cable --> modem --> wireless --> computer

20. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Thanks, just making sure I wasn't missing anything.

21. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I have it too. It was easy to set up.

22. NWBadger macrumors newbie

Smalldog.com is selling off its stock of old Airport base stations (not Airport Extreme) for $109 each.