wireless solution for powermac and ibook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by blue&whiteman, Mar 10, 2004.

1. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

my girlfriend just bought herself an ibook G4 and would like to know if there is a way it can share my cable connection from my blue and white without wires. airport is not an option since my blue and white will not support it. we would like to be able to share the connection and be networked but we will settle for just internet if we have to.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes. It's called an Airport Extreme Base Station. Your computer gets the one ethernet port, her's gets to go wireless.

3. blue&whiteman thread starter macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

so my tower would not need an airport card?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nope. You plug your computer directly into the base station (any of them, it doesn't have to be the AEBS - but see other threads regarding which wireless router you might want to buy) via the same ethernet cable you have going to it now. You'll need an extra cord to go from the cable modem to the base station, and don't forget to power down your modem (twice in some cases) to get it to accept the new MAC address. The iBook will be able to connect wirelessly.

5. clr900 macrumors regular

You don't have to get an Airport Extreme Base Station, there are many other third party wireless routers that have more than one ethernet port while still offering 802.11g wireless. I recently got a Netgear for only 40 dollars which has been great and has 4 ethernet ports.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, I didn't want to get too far into which router to select. That's why I mentioned that he should check the other threads if he wants info on which router is appropriate for him. Didn't feel like repeating myself in this thread when there's plenty of information available to anyone who does a little searching through this site.

7. clr900 macrumors regular

Didn't mean any offense to you, just trying to provide helpful information.

8. nargot macrumors regular

I run two computer via ethernet, and two via wireless uising a router it keeps the cables to a minimum. Look for a third party router, they are way cheaper, have a firewall (little but something) and usually have a 4 port switch.