Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Hey everyone, I have a cable connection, on my wired desktop I usually get:
5.6 Mbps Down
2.4 Mbps Up

but when I'm on my wireless intel iMac, I get:
1.5 Mbps down
1.2 Mbps up

my iMac is not more than 20 feet on the same floor as my Linksys Wireless B, from what I know Wireless B goes up to 11 Mbps, which means there's something wrong here, can somebody help? thanks

t1rider321

macrumors regular
May 8, 2005
Jericho2550 said:
5.6 Mbps Down
2.4 Mbps Up

1.5 Mbps down
1.2 Mbps up

my iMac is not more than 20 feet on the same floor as my Linksys Wireless B, from what I know Wireless B goes up to 11 Mbps, which means there's something wrong here, can somebody help? thanks
did you download 10.4.6? i heard it fixes the intel aiport problems

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Jericho2550 said:
5.6 Mbps Down
2.4 Mbps Up

1.5 Mbps down
1.2 Mbps up

Do you have WEP enabled?

clykins90

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
The Intel Macs have problems with Airport (i was fortunate). Make sure the latest update is installed properly. If it is, time for a trip to the Genius Bar

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
clykins90 said:
The Intel Macs have problems with Airport (i was fortunate). Make sure the latest update is installed properly. If it is, time for a trip to the Genius Bar

oh no...you may be right, I'm typing this from my PowerBook, suddenly my iMac is too slow to even download the MacRumors page, and I ran the test on both machines, this test
http://ciseweb100.cise-nsf.gov:7123/

can somebody confirm this test is legit? well on my PowerBook I got 3.9 down and 2.1 up, with my iMac, just now I get 170kbps!! is taking it to the apple store the only way out? I really don't wanna carry this thing all the way over there...thanks :(

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
clykins90 said:

it is an intel Airport issue, now here's the sad part, I never noticed a problem till monday, after I installed the new update that was supposed to fix this problem that some people had...I'm calling Apple tomorrow, first it was the keyboard dying on me, then this, and I just got it on Friday, I'm considering returning it and waiting for a Rev B, although it's a built to order, so I'll see, I'll let you all know...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.