Wireless Speed much less than my wired?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by M. Malone, Apr 5, 2006.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Mar 11, 2004
    Hey everyone, I have a cable connection, on my wired desktop I usually get:
    5.6 Mbps Down
    2.4 Mbps Up

but when I'm on my wireless intel iMac, I get:
    1.5 Mbps down
    1.2 Mbps up

my iMac is not more than 20 feet on the same floor as my Linksys Wireless B, from what I know Wireless B goes up to 11 Mbps, which means there's something wrong here, can somebody help? thanks
  2. t1rider321 macrumors regular

May 8, 2005
    did you download 10.4.6? i heard it fixes the intel aiport problems
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Also, the 11Mbps is the theoretical maximum speed that could be attained at the smallest possible distance from the router.
  4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Do you have WEP enabled?
  5. clykins90 macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    The Intel Macs have problems with Airport (i was fortunate). Make sure the latest update is installed properly. If it is, time for a trip to the Genius Bar
  6. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Mar 11, 2004
    oh no...you may be right, I'm typing this from my PowerBook, suddenly my iMac is too slow to even download the MacRumors page, and I ran the test on both machines, this test

can somebody confirm this test is legit? well on my PowerBook I got 3.9 down and 2.1 up, with my iMac, just now I get 170kbps!! is taking it to the apple store the only way out? I really don't wanna carry this thing all the way over there...thanks :(
  7. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Mar 11, 2004
    it is an intel Airport issue, now here's the sad part, I never noticed a problem till monday, after I installed the new update that was supposed to fix this problem that some people had...I'm calling Apple tomorrow, first it was the keyboard dying on me, then this, and I just got it on Friday, I'm considering returning it and waiting for a Rev B, although it's a built to order, so I'll see, I'll let you all know...