Wireless storage for MBP??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macminor, Feb 10, 2007.

1. macminor macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2007
    I'm a bit of a novice but I hope this makes sense....

I want to get rid of my bedroom based desktop pc and just run solely off my macbook pro and use it wirelessly from the lounge, however I have about 200gb of movies/music/photos on my pc which I do not have room for on my 80gb macbook hard drive. So I need some recommendations on what an ideal solution would be for storing this stuff.

I have a 250gb firewire hard drive which I use for backing up the mbp which combined with the space on the mbp hd would probably be enough, but I want to have constant access to my Itunes library which is around 120gb without having to cart around the firewire hd.

Would buying a NAS like the Synology DS-106e be a good solution that could offer a lot of storage and also stream my itunes library wirelessly? Has anyone had any experience streaming their itunes wirelessly through NAS, how much of a performance drop would I experience compared with direct access through my mbp?

Or would the new airport extreme be a better option with a hard drive plugged into that (will it accept firewire or only USB?)

Are there any other options?

Alot of questions I know but hopefully someone has a similar setup working smoothly.
  2. desenso macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2005
    I've heard good things about the Airport Extreme + Network Disk option, bit I have no personal experience with any of these options...

Please let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.
  3. phuong macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    i guess you can use that Synology network disk just fine.
    or if you think that your storage needs to expand at some point, you could buy an AEBS and one of those stackable external usb disks. that way you can expand it endlessly and never have to worry about running out of available space.
  4. macminor thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2007
    Does anyone have any first hand experience of using either the NAS or AEBS as a storage solution? It would be good to hear some direct information on speed and performance with these setups.