Wireless USB - Have wireless connection but no IP connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brycebass, Feb 2, 2007.

1. brycebass macrumors newbie

Something's up with my wireless connection and I don't know what.

I have a 10.3.9 (fully patched) G4 graphite using a Zyxel G-202 USB wireless adaptor. It works in a PC, gets an association and IP communication is fine.

In the Mac it gets an association with the routers (I have tried two different routers) and the routers know about the MAC address but no IP is assigned when using DHCP and no communication occurs when statically assigning an IP.

Using the built-in ethernet IP isn't a problem, either DHCP or statically assigned. I have tried turning the ethernet card off but this didn't make a difference.
    The driver is the only one available and does work.
    The firewall is off.

I'm using 128-bit WEP encryption and haven't tried it with no encryption, but surely it wouldn't even get an association if the encryption was causing problems?

Any suggestion as to the way forward would be gratefully received because the ethernet cable running across the floor is really starting to annoy me now. :D

Thanks.

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Ah..for a second there I thought you went out and got yourself one of those wireless USB hubs or something.

Anyways, does the Mac see your shiny new wireless dongle? Open up applications/utilities/network info and see if shows up in the interfaces second as an AirPort or something similar.

3. brycebass thread starter macrumors newbie

It does appear. It's just listed as another ethernet interface (en1). When set to DHCP the IP it has assigned is 144.3.8.0 which I assume is just an IP to assign to the interface until it is assigned one? When an IP is specified it appears correctly in the network utility.

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

5. brycebass thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the one.
    The two routers are both also Zyxel - the 662HW and 653HWI.

It appears to be recognised and everything's working except for actually getting any IP communication. Is there anything I can check in the IP configuration of the OS that isn't available through the system prefs/network config?

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Perhaps in the Terminal.. That's beyond me though.

7. brycebass thread starter macrumors newbie