Wireless video for Android?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by xraydoc, Apr 12, 2013.

1. macrumors demi-god

Oct 9, 2005
    At work we have a 60" LCD that we use for various presentations, lectures, etc. while we have typical VGA and HDMI connections for laptops, we also have an AppleTV connected to it for wireless presentation from iPads, iPhones and MacBooks.

The nicest thing was the AppleTV box was only a $99 investment. I can walk in with my iPhone or iPad, launch Keynote or SlideShark, and be up and running in seconds. SlideShark, BTW, does a great job of running complex PowerPoint presentations on the iPad (does server-side conversion).

What solutions are there for Android? If I have a presentation on my Google Docs account/Google Drive, what's the easiest way for me to project it wirelessly to our TV? I don't mind adding another box as long as it's similarly priced ($100-150). The TV is not a Samsung, so I can't rely on any of the proprietary Samsung Galaxy S-apps they include. Needs to work from any Android variety (with the proper apps installed of course).

2. macrumors member

Jan 23, 2013
    Miracast adapter (around 40 bucks) if your device supports wireless display like nexus 4.
  3. thread starter macrumors demi-god

Oct 9, 2005
    Seems like the number of phones is pretty limited, though. GS3 and Note 2, Nexus 4 and LG Optimus 2. Nothing else, and no way to add it to any other phone via software AFAIKT.
  4. macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2011
  5. macrumors G3

Jun 12, 2012
    It is crazy to think that this is still an issue in 2013
  6. LIVEFRMNYC, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

macrumors 601

Oct 27, 2009
    I know they have many app solutions for streaming videos, photos and music to AppleTV, but not really for mirroring other types of formats like Keynote or Docs.

Samsung is suppose to drop their homesync box any moment now, although it's rumored to be around $200.

Another suggestion would be to use a laptop as the middle man instead of trying to use a media box. I've done this plenty times. So easy to have complete mirroring to a desktop(PC or Mac), while the laptop is hooked to a TV input.
  7. macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2011
    Got a link for one for $40?

8. thread starter macrumors demi-god

Oct 9, 2005
    May as well just run the slideshow off the laptop if I were to do that.

Guess I'll have to settle on exactly which Adnroid device I want to use before I can select a "box" for wireless display.

Do any support Motorola phones?
  9. macrumors 68030

Sep 3, 2011
    You'd think it'd be a no brainier for Google given the fact that they already have a TV centered platform that could be streamed to (ie GoogleTV). Or alternatively they could have developed this functionality into the Nexus Q.