Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
At work we have a 60" LCD that we use for various presentations, lectures, etc. while we have typical VGA and HDMI connections for laptops, we also have an AppleTV connected to it for wireless presentation from iPads, iPhones and MacBooks.

The nicest thing was the AppleTV box was only a $99 investment. I can walk in with my iPhone or iPad, launch Keynote or SlideShark, and be up and running in seconds. SlideShark, BTW, does a great job of running complex PowerPoint presentations on the iPad (does server-side conversion).

What solutions are there for Android? If I have a presentation on my Google Docs account/Google Drive, what's the easiest way for me to project it wirelessly to our TV? I don't mind adding another box as long as it's similarly priced ($100-150). The TV is not a Samsung, so I can't rely on any of the proprietary Samsung Galaxy S-apps they include. Needs to work from any Android variety (with the proper apps installed of course).

Suggestions?

supahsain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Miracast adapter (around 40 bucks) if your device supports wireless display like nexus 4.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Miracast adapter (around 40 bucks) if your device supports wireless display like nexus 4.

Seems like the number of phones is pretty limited, though. GS3 and Note 2, Nexus 4 and LG Optimus 2. Nothing else, and no way to add it to any other phone via software AFAIKT.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I know they have many app solutions for streaming videos, photos and music to AppleTV, but not really for mirroring other types of formats like Keynote or Docs.

Samsung is suppose to drop their homesync box any moment now, although it's rumored to be around $200.

Another suggestion would be to use a laptop as the middle man instead of trying to use a media box. I've done this plenty times. So easy to have complete mirroring to a desktop(PC or Mac), while the laptop is hooked to a TV input.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Another suggestion would be to use a laptop as the middle man instead of trying to use a media box. I've done this plenty times. So easy to have complete mirroring to a desktop(PC or Mac), while the laptop is hooked to a TV input.

May as well just run the slideshow off the laptop if I were to do that.

Guess I'll have to settle on exactly which Adnroid device I want to use before I can select a "box" for wireless display.

Do any support Motorola phones?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
It is crazy to think that this is still an issue in 2013

You'd think it'd be a no brainier for Google given the fact that they already have a TV centered platform that could be streamed to (ie GoogleTV). Or alternatively they could have developed this functionality into the Nexus Q.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.