Wireless Video Streaming off of NAS Box

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jgodden, Apr 8, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Apr 8, 2008
    Ok, just to prep, here is my setup:

Buffalo Quadstation 6TB NAS, Wired into an Airport Extreme. Also Wired in the Airport Extreme is my Xbox 360. I can stream my videos to my Xbox no problem, but I want to get them into the bedroom, wirelessly. I found an item on dlink's site, but it says its used with Win Mediacenter, which I dont want to use. Currently, I am using the first gen Western Digital HD Media Streamer, which as no network connectivity, as it pulls the media from a USB Hard drive.

The new version of this device has an ethernet port, but no wireless. I was thinking of using a wireless bridge (linksys) that I have lying around, but im worried about the performance (as It is only a G bridge) and Im wondering if i should try to find a device that works with N for best performance.

Basically here is what I want:
    A device that has built-in N Wireless, and has these hook ups on the back:
    Regular RCA (Red/Yello/White)

The TV in my bedroom right now is not HD (Which is why I need the R/Y/W connectors, but I plan to upgrade in the future, so I want one with HDMI for that at a later date.

I dont want it to require anything other than the connection to my NAS, as I want to be able to just browse to my media folder on the nas, and see all my media as I have it arranged in there in a nice neat folder structure: TV/Show/Season/Episodes.
  2. macrumors member

Dec 19, 2007
    in the 'burbs of Toronto
    I have a Buffallo Linstation Live Pro (it's awesome). Is the stuff on the NAS, from the Apple store or not. If it's from the Apple store, than the best solution is a hacked Apple TV. You will require the hack to mount the NAS (if you don't want to copy everything to the Apple TV). If it's not iTunes DRM stuff, than a hacked Apple TV is still a a great way to go. Or you might consider a WD TV Live, or a box by Popcorn(?). The WD device doesn't have WiFi out of the box, but it can be added (there is a very robust WD community, and they have managed all sorts of things). Being an Apple guy, I went with the Apple TV. I have a wired setup and it works wonderfully. With a WiFi setup your mileage might vary.

'hope that helps

I went with PatchStick - they're Canadian, like me!
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Apr 8, 2008
    Nope, not from appl store. Mostly DivX stuff, and a few Mp4s here and there. I think i found the solution though, Either the WD Live + Airport Express, or a second used Xbox and use the Dual Band N Wireless component for the 360 (which I already have, for travelling) I could probably get a used 360 for like $100.