Wireless & web page serving

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jxyama, May 30, 2003.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

A really dumb question I hope someone can answer...

I noticed that Macs allow web page serving via Apache. I've turned on the web sharing, put some pages under "Sites" folder but only computers on the local subnet can find it.

Here's the setup I have.

-3 laptops: 2 Dells and my Mac. Each having a wireless PCI card or AE card, for me.

-Cable modem

-Netgear wireless hub

The assigned IP addresses (according to the sharing info page on my Mac) seem to be generic ones Netgear give for local subnet? (It's like 192.168.0.1, I think?) It's the same IP address used to configure the wireless hub.

What do I need to do so I can serve my webpages to everyone..? (Do I need to pay extra to subscribe to static IP service from the cable modem company?)

2. stuckwithme247 macrumors regular

dude...this is the second time we've seen this crap on here...this is your second warning against offensive/spam posting... :rolleyes:

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

stuckwithme: Please... :rolleyes: Keep that kind of thing off these forums. He just has a question.

Now, back to topic:

What you need to do is forward port 80 on your router to the computer you want to host the webpage on. I'm not sure how to do this on Netgear routers, but you should be able to figure out how to do it since you know what a "subnet" is and probably have the manual to your router. :D

As for what address to give people wishing to access your site, you must give them your routable IP, i.e. the one your ISP gives you. I assume yours is dynamic, so you should sign up with a dynamic DNS provider (free) to have an address that stays constant. You just go to the Dynamic DNS provider's site and change your IP when our ISP gives you a new one.

Good, free Dynamic DNS provider: http://www.dyndns.org

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to post them.

4. alset macrumors 65816

alset

You can also get DNSUpdate to resolve your IP with dyndns.org every time it changes. Works great on my network.

Dan

5. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

thanks, ibookin', that's the piece of information i was looking for...

i've heard of using a dynamic dns provider... thanks for all the info.

stuckwithme: did i do something offensive? i looked but i didn't see anything. if it's my fault, my bad.

it was an honest question, i just didn't know. no spam intended.

6. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

hehe - don't worry man - the RED text was eyelikeart's edit of stickwithme's post - the warning was to him, not you!

7. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama