wireless with emac question...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by krossfyter, Jul 13, 2004.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

is it possible to have wireless access on my powerbook (with airport card) using the emac as the server that has access to the internet by regular way of the dsl modem? im thinking about using sbc yahoo since they are the only on in my area to provide dsl service. They have three different equipment information... 1) the regular one with just the modem and the cords for one computer 2) for another desktop connection 3) for wireless laptop connection.

Can I just go for the 1st one and go wireless with my powerbook through the emac by way of remote desktop server?? But I am wondering if the emac has to have an airport card itself... of which i dont think it has. Please help me with this situation as soon as possible. I don't want to make a mistake because of my lack of understanding some basic things here. Thanks.

Also I apologize for not using the proper technical jargon.

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I believe you can configure your eMac to act like a wireless base station (assuming it has a wireless card). Not sure exactly how to set it up, but I think that it should be possible. The eMac just becomes the router/base station for your wireless network. Try looking around the discussion groups at apple.com.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

If both computers have the appropriate wireless card you can share internet, printers, and drives. Plug the modem into the eMac and then go into System Preferences > Sharing and turn on whatever you want to share. It's pretty self-explanatory.

EDIT: However, when the eMac is sleeping or off you ain't sharing squat.

4. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay... cool. so the emac has to have that card huh or it wont work. if it doesnt... what should i do next? by a card for it or buy something else?

how do i check if it has a card or not?

thanks.

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

You would have had to have the card added as a built to order option to already have it. You can either buy the card, which I think is now about $80 bucks and install it. Or you can go and buy a wireless router for about $80 bucks and use that.

You have to have the card or something that can send out a wireless signal. Otherwise the Laptop won't pick one up as there is nothing for it to pick up.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Instead of buying an Airport (or Airport Extreme) card for your eMac, it would be cheaper to buy a wireless router. Plug the modem into the router. The eMac would connect to the router with an Ethernet cable. The PB would connect via Airport.

An 802.11g router can be had for $40.

Alternatively, if the DSL company offers a modem with wireless capabilities, that would be even better. I couldn't tell from your posts, but if Option 3 is a wireless DSL modem, that might be the ticket. Just make sure that this modem has an Ehternet port as well as the wireless.

7. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thanks for the help guys.
    heres what it says for option 3...

DSL Wireless Home Networking Bundle for Laptops- $80 one time fee also includes:

Special Offer - $179 SBC Yahoo! DSL Wireless Home Networking bundle with $99 Instant Credit. Requires a one-year term SBC Yahoo! DSL package.A Wireless DSL gateway with a built-in ADSL modem (2Wire HomePortal 1000SW).One wireless PC Card adapter for laptops. This card enables your laptop for wireless connectivity to the gateway and Internet at home. The card with your laptop can also be used in conjunction with a wireless Hot Spot service for wireless connectivity to the Internet away from home.Cables to connect two computers directly to the HomePortal (one Ethernet, one USB) as well as the cords to set up your HomePortal Security for every PC connected on your home network with a business-grade firewall

..... is this worth it? or is there another cheaper option?

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

You wouldn't be able to use the PC card, so factor that out. Contract? $80 setup fee? I say screw it at that point. That's already more money than an AirPort card or a wireless router.

If you do decide to use the eMac, make sure you buy the right card. It will either be Airport or Airport Extreme. They're not interchangable. Original Airport was just discontinued but you can probably find it someplace like MacMall and definitely on Ebay.

9. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay im glad i didnt go through with that and asked you all for advice.
    wheew! so how do i find out if what airport card i need for the emac? for that matter how do i found it if the emac already has an airport card? i dont think it does... but i dont have any copy of the purchase paper handy to determine for sure. anything i can do with pulling info from the computer?... utilities? system profile? whatever.

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Apple menu > about this mac > more info. It'll be there if you have it.

What model eMac do you have? How fast is the processor or when did you buy it? Only the newest ones use AirPort Extreme.

11. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

is it called "pc card" because it doesnt have it but my powerbook which does have an airport card has that.

i couldnt find anything in system profile on airport card.

its 1.0ghz, 133mhz, cache size is 256k... machine model is 3.3.

12. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Go with option #2

I will break it down here:

Option #1
    Get an aiirport card for the eMac then share the connection.
    Cost: 1 airport extreme card ($80)
    Pros: if you move your eMac to somewhere with a wireless connection you can connect to their network
    Cons: eMac has to be on ALL the time

Option #2
    Get a wireless router
    Cost: $40 for 802.11g wireless router
    Pros: Emac can be off, cheaper, will also output multiple wired ethernet connections
    Cons: None

Option #3
    Get DSL home network modem
    Cost: $279 + ?
    Pros: None
    Cons: Very expensive

GET #3!

13. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

so you are saying i should just seperately buy a wireless router?... not through the internet service company? which one should i get?

so i go with with equipment package 1 with sbc yahoo... which is just basic
    and buy a seperate router?

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

If you go with option 1, just make sure that the modem they give you has an ethernet connection. Many DSL modems have USB connections, but for the most part, they don't work on Macs. The one that Verizon gave my dad had both ethernet and USB.

So your set-up would be: phone line to DSL modem --> DSL modem to wireless router (via Ethernet) --> router to eMac (via Ethernet) --> router to PB (via wireless)

As for the router to get, I've have great sucess with my Netgear WGR614 router. Amazon usually has them for around $40 after rebates. Amazon doesn't usually charge tax and this qualifies for free shipping. If you do buy from Amazon, just make sure you're getting it from Amazon and not one of their partner stores (who typically add in shipping and taxes).

If you go with something else, I would suggest staying with a brand name router as you're more likely to get through to customer service (if you need it). Besides, if you get a more popular model, chances are that someone on this forum has that exact same model and may have tidbits for solving specific problems.

15. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i wish this thread was around before i brought an airport extreme card for the emac and a base station and a powerbook.... so i have not brought a airport extreme?

16. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

AirPort Extreme for the eMac.

Option #2 isn't a bad one if it's added features are ones you need. I used to share my connection through my PowerMac but I got sick of having to always have the PowerMac on. If it went to sleep everybody got disconnected. For that reason I bought an AirPort Extreme base station.

The cheapo Netgear wireless router will suit your needs I think. Don't buy anythign from your DSL provider though. They're going to charge a premium for everything just because they can. Consider it an ignorance tax paid by those who don't know their options.

17. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

alright guys... so its basic/regular equipment package 1 with sbc yahoo and a netgear router. i'll have to post back here soon for help on connecting it all if i do have trouble with it... since i've never had a router before. thanks for the help so far everyone. because of you all i dont have to pay ignorance taxes (cool term by the way).

18. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

alright im a little confused here... i called them up and i asked them if the first package's modem has both an ethernet and usb port... and they said its only ethernet... and its not compatible with more then one computer... so if thats the case then it cant be compatible with a router or is it?

they told me i should go with the second package instead.

how should i work this? do i just get the first package... and connect the regular sbc yahoo modem to the neat gear router by way of ethernet... and thus would be able to connect the emac to the router and then the laptop wirelessly to the router via airport card? im a little confused.

i told them about wanting the laptop to be wireless and they told me i would need a pci card for it... i then told them about the airport card in it (not knowing if it is or isnt the same thing) they said it would have to be a B type card instead of a G.... more confused. See if i choose package number 2 or 3 they would send me a pci card with it... but thats normally for pcs im guessing. please help clear the confusion here. im assuming, as stated previously that, that i go with package 1 .... and hook up a neatgear router to the sbc yahoo (ethernet port only) modem but im not sure at this point.

here are the packages...

ll SBC Yahoo! Equipment Options include the following:

Compatible DSL modem and phone cable (this is different from a dial-up modem) Equipment is a new or fully inspected, tested and warranted return unit Network interface card (NIC) and NIC cable (only if needed)
    One Filter Pack containing: Five in-line microfilters, one wall-mount filter, one two-way adapter (to be used only on jacks that will share the line with SBC Yahoo! DSL) Installation software CD and Installation Guide with step-by-step instructions

DSL Wireless Home Networking Bundle for Desktops- $50 one time fee also includes: Special Offer - $149 SBC Yahoo! DSL Wireless Home Networking kit with $99 Instant Credit. Requires a one-year term SBC Yahoo! DSL package. A Wireless DSL gateway with a built-in ADSL modem (2Wire HomePortal 1000SW). Ethernet network interface card (PCI for desktops) (Wireless and HomePNA adapters are sold separately). Cables to connect two computers directly to the HomePortal (one Ethernet, one USB) as well as the cords to set up your HomePortal.Security for every PC connected on your home network with a business-grade firewall.

DSL Wireless Home Networking Bundle for Laptops- $80 one time fee also includes: Special Offer - $179 SBC Yahoo! DSL Wireless Home Networking bundle with $99 Instant Credit. Requires a one-year term SBC Yahoo! DSL package. A Wireless DSL gateway with a built-in ADSL modem (2Wire HomePortal 1000SW).One wireless PC Card adapter for laptops. This card enables your laptop for wireless connectivity to the gateway and Internet at home. The card with your laptop can also be used in conjunction with a wireless Hot Spot service for wireless connectivity to the Internet away from home.Cables to connect two computers directly to the HomePortal (one Ethernet, one USB) as well as the cords to set up your HomePortalSecurity for every PC connected on your home network with a business-grade firewall

excuse my lack of understanding basic networking set ups.

19. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Kross,

It sounds as though they are trying to lure you into buying stuff you don't need. I don't know what YahooDSL's Terms and Conditions are, but most Cable and DSL providers allow you to share the internet connection among multiple computers. That's what a router does. It takes the single IP address that the provider gives you and splits that among the computers on the network. Each computer on the network gets its own "router given" IP address. They shouldn't have a problem with this type of set-up.

However, in the past, providers prohibited having routers connected to the modems. They claimed that it interfered with their networks, but the truth is that they wanted to sell their "Home Networking" solutions. Eventually, they gave that angle up and only lure uniformed customers into buying Home Networking servcies.

Here's what I can tell you. I have Cable Internet and I have it hooked up to my Netgear wireless router. I can connect to the internet via wireless and ethernet.

My dad's DSL service is directly connected to his PC via Ethernet. Since it's the only computer in his house, a router wasn't necessary. Although adding a router would provide a little more security with it's built-in firewall. I figured that it wasn't worth the $20 for a router.

For your set-up, I would be willing to bet that Option #1 would work for you with no problem. The modem that they provide has an Ethernet port that would connect to the Netgear router that you're considering. Your eMac would connect to the Netgear with an Ethernet cable. The Powerbook would connect via Airport.

They only thing that might be a problem is if they prohibit unauthorized routers on their network. If they do, they could probably shut off your service. At least with my Cable provider, they can tell if I have a router connected to the modem or if a computer is directly connected. I don't know what DSL companies can see or not.

I wouldn't buy Option #2 or Option #3 since you'll be getting stuff that you wouldn't be able to use. The PCI card isn't compatible with your eMac and the PC Card probably isn't compatible with your PB.

20. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thanks ftaok i really appreciate your indepth attempt at clearing this confusion for me. it has helped a lot.

so my next question is... is there any way that i can know if they would prohibit any other routers being connected? if i do go ahead and try a router out and in the event they do shut off my connection... where do i go from there? should i just play dumb?... will i get the service back??... or will i be completley banned from using thier services period? just trying to figure out the reprecussions and such.

thanks again. i will go with option one regardless but i would like to know what can or cant be done from there.

21. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

No modem is compatible with more than 1 computer. That's what the router is for! They won't know what you've got connected to their line. The modem will get an IP address and that's all they know. They'll know about your bandwith though, so running a server or doing a lot of file trading might get their attention.

Do not buy their wireless package! It's overpriced and you can't even use the PCMCIA card.

Also, don't listen to their people. Is that tech support or sales? Sales will know nothing at all and tech support will know just slightly more.

Get their basic package. It'll work.

Any alternatives in your area? Cable? Other DSL providers? Anybody who doesn't jerk you around so much? Check broadbandreports.com.

22. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thanks Horrortaxi. yeah... sbc is the only dsl provider out here i believe... i havent heard of any others... but since this town is growing im sure there will be more options in the future.

*****possible stupid question warning*****
    also... is that netgear router a hub? because if its a hub they will be able to detect me... right?

23. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

A hub and a router are similar in a lot of ways--they both redistribute a signal. The hub is just like one of those multi outlet adaptors you can plug into the wall. You can make 2 outlets into 6 but there's no guarantee you won't overload the circuit because the adaptor is dumb. A hub is dumb. A router is smart. A router will assign an IP address to each computer connected to it and can keep track of what they're all doing. There's more too it than that, but you get the idea.

Whichever one you have, your DSL provider won't know any different.

I have a fairly crazy setup and I'm sure my provider doesn't know anything about it. Cable modem goes to a VoIP box, then to AirPort base station, then to a hub which sends cables out to the Playstation and my "testing table" in case I need a wired connection. 4 Macs and a Linux PC connect wirelessly. Nobody knows nothin'.

24. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Not a problem. I like to help.

Anyways, if they do detect the router, you could always say that you're uncomfortable with having your computer connected directly to the internet and the router is used mainly for its firewall and website filtering capabilities.

As to Horrortaxi's assertion that they can't detect what you have connected. I disagree. While I do admit that I don't know about all providers, I do know that RCN cable in the Philly area can detect what's connected to their modem. I don't know how, but when I had a problem with connecting my iBook to the modem, I called Customer Service. He told me that the Dell Laptop still had the IP lease and that he could release it from his end. Once I plugged my iBook in, a new IP lease would be tied to my iBook. He then asked if I had a router and to plug it in. Once I plugged it in, he asked if it was a Netgear to comfirm that he had the right connection.

So at least with RCN Cable, they can tell what's connected. Of course their Terms and Conditions allow for routers to be used.

I suspect that SBC's policy does allow for routers. They probably just don't advertise it because it would eat into their fat profits with their Home Networking options.

25. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Okay.... i've been looking at the neatgear routers on amazon.com and there has been a lot of bad customer reviews. Is this a soild router or is it a high risk? Any other option?