Wireless without airport?????

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tommy22, Sep 21, 2005.

1. tommy22 macrumors newbie

I have a G5 without an airport card. Is it possible to use a netgear wg111t antenna to connect to a DG834GT? :confused:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

3. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

that is something different. the netgear wg111t is a USB wi-fi adapter. the DG834GT should work fine with any computer as long as the computer has some sort of a wi-fi card. the question is would the wg111t work with OS X. but my question is why dont you just go wired with the G5? it would be a lot faster than wireless, and well, G5s aren't exactly portable so you wouldnt gain anything there.

4. Shasta macrumors member

Good luck

I tried a USB dongle in my G5 for awhile, it was a D-link something B

it "worked" half the time but it liked to KP the **** out of my computer, so I decided it was much more worth it to pull about a hundred feet of cable through my house to wire in, instead of dealing with the crap USB.

or you could just buy an Airport card and know it will work

Best Luck
    Shasta

5. davebl macrumors member

wifi is wifi. it doesnt matter who makes it. any 802.11b will work with any 802.11b, same to any 802.11 standard.....emphasis the word standard.

6. tommy22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man that sounds the best idea. What sort of cable do i need? Just a normal ethernet cable?? i need it to be about 30 metres long though.
    :confused:

7. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

You can often go to an outlet exlectronics store and find a spool of cat5 network cable which will do the trink im sure you could find a spool of 100m if you looked hard enough! if you go this route you will have to put the ends on yourself.

here is a good site http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.asp i already PMed you the site, but i thought id let other people know as well!

8. jonnellnieto macrumors newbie