wireless without high speed?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by papa deuce, Mar 8, 2004.

1. papa deuce macrumors member

I know that I can network files w/o high speed, but what about using my laptop wirelessly, while my connection goes through a router / dial -up? Does it work? How?

I have 2 desktop PCs and an iBook.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

With the Airport and Airport Extreme Base Stations, they only dial when your computer makes a request for an internet site, or, there is a menu item, I believe it is under the Airport Icon, that allows you to tell the base station to dial (connect just like your notebook's modem). You also disconnect it the same way. I have a little experience with it, as when I have set up Airport networks for clients, I try it out at my Home in Washington (w/o DSL/Cable) and dial up from my computer through the Base Station. It sometimes is a bit bulky, but it's better than my Dad's PC random dialing whenever it is on.

TEG

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

This is how I have it set up,
    PC running WinXP with a WiFi PCI card
    Tibook w/ Airport Card

XP is sharing the dialup connection over the wireless which in turn is giving me a wireless dialup connection. However, since you have a wireless router, try hooking up the router to the pc and sharing the dialup. It should be shared over the ethernet to the router and be picked up wireless to your iBook.

4. dylanemcgregor macrumors member

I'm looking to get a wireless router that has a built in dial-up modem so that I can surf wirelessly without a high speed internet connection. Did I read it right that the first generation Airport has this feature? Does anyone know of any other wireless routers that have this feature? Either 802.11b or g is fine...but preferably something that is less than $250.

I get strange looks from the sales people at the computer store when I ask about this. They all say it isn't possible until I show them the Airport Extreme box. I'm not sure how to search on the internet for routers with this feature either.

Thanks,
    Dylan