Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by evildead, Oct 31, 2005.

1. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    I'm in the market for a new Wireless Router. I really like the Airport Express but I need at least one port for a hard wired computer. Any rumors of Airport Extreem/Express updates? Airport with airTunes?
  2. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    Do you need streaming audio, etc?

Linksys WRT54G is a good little router. Not too pricey either.
  3. Graeme Pearce macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2002
    33 45.255 south, 151 12.910 east
    I am a great believer in if you need it now, buy it now. Technology will change the day after you buy a computer or peripheral anyway.

I have an Airport Extreme which feeds an iMac, iBook, a PC and a wireless printer. I have had this set-up for one year and it works flawlessly. After a power outage once I had to reboot the Airport.

So far as security is concerned I have a neighbour who openly admits to trying to break into my network but is unable to.

So, for reliability and security I have no hesitation recommending the Airport Extreme.

BTW there is still disagreement on the next wi-fi standard (802.11.n) so I think that buying an 802.11.g router will be safest for the time being.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Wiser words are rarely said. Unless you really need AirTunes then get a cheaper Linksys. You can later add an Express to your network if you'd like and have AirTunes that way. :)
  5. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2005
    yeah, if you just want one hardwired, I have had great luck with my Netgear Routers, If one breaks down, they send me a new one... Only downside is the Tech Support people dont speak english very well..:rolleyes: