Wirelessly connecting Canon Ip5200R with G5 Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wildybaby, Nov 26, 2005.

1. wildybaby macrumors newbie

Nov 26, 2005
    South of London
    Hi all

I am a relatively new to the world of Macs and whilst I wonder why I never used them before, I would appreciate a bit of assistance please. Apologies in advance if this subject has been already covered.

I have just bought a Canon IP5200r (The IP4000r was the older version) which I want to connect wirelessly to my G5 iMac, which has obviously has inbuilt airport. On setting up the printer I cannot get it to talk too or recognise the mac. It works fine when connected with the USB provided. I was under the impression that I would be able to connect directly, but now think that I need an airport extreme base station to route the printer through?

Can anyone confirm this, and if this is not my problem any suggestions please.
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Wow, even Mad Jew can't help you here.

I'm not sure if you can connect directly to the airport card, without perhaps creating a mini-network using Internet Connect.

Do you have a router?

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]
  3. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Oct 9, 2005
    8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Yes, if you want to use your printer wirelessly you will need to connect it via the USB cable to an Airport Express device, and that should do the trick. The Airport Express thingy is very small and plugs into the wall or a surge protector. Then you can place your computer anywhere in the room, it doesn't have to be near the printer.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Is the Network Setup Tool installed? The Canon page says you'll need a base station though. You won't be able to make an ad-hoc network with it like Lacero hopes though. Sorry. :(
  5. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Jul 13, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You're going to need to save a wireless router of some kind, I'm afraid!
  6. wildybaby thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 26, 2005
    South of London
    Thank you guys for your help, I thought after the event I would have to buy a router of sorts. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking! Airport base station here we go!

Thanks again :)