wirelessness

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MACkin, Nov 27, 2006.

1. MACkin macrumors newbie

I'm looking to get a mac this winter so I can stay warm :) . I've noticed that the mac mini has airport wireless internet built in. Right now I'm using a Linksys wireless router and a D-Link usb plug in. Can the mac connect to my Linksys router without the usb plug in :confused:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes...the AirPort Express card is just like any other wireless card. It will connect to third-party wireless routers just fine.

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

wireless is so easy on the mac! you should be pleasantly surprised- just click the Airport icon, find your network, and your connected!

4. MACkin thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replys. I've also heard that macs are faster than pcs. Possibly because of the os? I have a sempron 1.68 ghz with 500 mb ram and I'm thinking of getting a 1.66 ghz mac mini with 1 gb ram. Hopefully it will be quite a bit faster.

5. Boxer macrumors regular

Oh yeah, wireless is so easy on the Mac, until it stops working, and it says your connected to the internet, but you really aren't and you can't use the almost $3000 MBP to do anything on the internet. Then you call apple care and they tell you to buy an apple router, even though your newer Linksys router has been working 100% with two other newer intel macs and two PC's. Then they tell you that there is nothing they can do for you..........Can you see where this is going? Sorry I am just frustrated.

In all seriousness my mac was great with wireless until my problems started, and I know lots of people who had no problems and still have none. You should be fine. Pray that you don't have a lemon like ME!

6. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Seriously...tell us how you really feel :)

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

Macs are not necessarily faster than PCs. It always depends on the specs of the machine. I think people who buy Macs know how to configure their hardware when ordering (i.e., more RAM) so that their machine runs faster. But the processors are the same in most new machines: a Mac with a C2D processor will not necessarily run faster than a PC with the same processor and same RAM, VRAM, hard drive speed, etc.