Wiring up a 360 to Xbox live via halls of residence?

Discussion in 'Games' started by dontlosetouch, Jan 3, 2007.

1. dontlosetouch macrumors member

I got my 360 this morning. I am a happy lad.

Question is though regarding getting it online. Currently I have to use a RJ45 cable to get onto this university halls of residence network.

What will I need to get Xbox live running properly? A splitter or something? I've no clue whatsoever on stuff like this, I just want to play video games.

edit; the reason I cant just plug the Xbox in is because I have to sign in for my Internet. Sigh.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I wonder if you can just buy a router from your computer and share the computers connection, therefore allowing the computer to sign in, and once signed it let the 360 access live :confused: Might work, I really dont know.

Other than that I have nothing...... :eek:

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

OK to summarise what you have said:

You have a Computer and an Xbox 360

You have one ethernet cable which provides you with the Internet

Upon plugging the cable into your computer you need to sign in via a webpage to allow yourself access

As far as I know if you were to plug the 360 into the Internet it won't show you the sign in page (its a games console after all) and thus you can't get online

In my experience it would be best to have the computer connected to the Internet and then for you to share that connection with your Xbox.

That way your sure to have access to the Internet because your computer is given access and all the traffic for the Xbox is routed through the same IP as the PC/Mac (When sharing internet connection both Mac and Windows provide NAT to allow the sharing of one IP address)

However for that to work you would need two ethernet ports on your computer

Now a router might just work, it all depends on whether when you sign in you are identified by your IP which in most cases that is the way its done, in cases like these its worth experimenting.

5. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

But shouldnt getting a 2 way splitter (or whatever you want to call it) work fine provided I'm signed in on my computer?

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Let's define the splitter as a "hub"

If you were to plug the hub into your ethernet cable it would indeed allow you to route the Internet to the systems that you plugged into the hub, the problem is that you would still need to have those systems sign into the network

It would be like having the computer in one dorm/room and the Xbox in another and even if the Xbox was capable of doing this sign on I don't think you would be allowed to be logged on twice at the same time

So your back to where you started

Routers are a bit smarter, they do what the hubs do but they have the ability to make all the systems share the same outside IP address so you could have 200 machines in your room and you would only be using one IP from the halls of residence network.

One question is the computer a Mac or a PC?

7. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Hi. I've got the same setup in my room at school. I have one ethernet cable going into a linksys (wireless) router (I don't use wireless though), and my computer and Xbox 360 are both connected to the router. If you try this out, it should work fine, possibly after fixing some settings.

At my school, we were required to register each computer's MAC (not Mac) address that would use our ethernet connection. I had to register the router's MAC address, and then I believe it worked. If that doesn't work, you might need to mess around with some settings, but it's really not hard. I set it up in about 10 minutes, without knowing how to do it.

8. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I didn't see that you needed to sign in to use the internet every time. That sounds like it would make things more complicated. I don't know if using the router like I posted above would work. Although, I would still try it. I'm wondering if the schools ISP provides service to specific IP/MAC addresses that sign in, or simply turns on the service to the ethernet port in the room after signing on. You could also try using a router, and sharing one IP address between your computer and Xbox 360, as opposed to using a range of addresses.

9. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

OK heres's the lowdown.

I bought myself a Belkin router. Which seems to work fine.

Now, here's the funny part. I plug the cables from Xbox to router, then it comes up asking me for a system update, which I have to accept or it will sign me out. After that, it says it's loading, which it does for about 5 mins, then stops completely. Any ideas?

Oh, I'm on a Macbook, but I have XP on here if I need it. Dont think that will help though surely?

10. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

By saying System Update are you talking about the Xbox?

It could be a Firewall Issue if thats the case.

11. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it's the Xbox.

Firewall issues eh? Any way I can get my way round it here at uni? ARRRGGGGHHHH

12. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

It might just be the firewall of the new Belkin that you got. If its that then you can simply open up the ports that you need, I believe they are something like this:

UDP - 88

Any - 2074

Any - 3074

13. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

Can you explain how I do all of that please? It's confusing as **** haha!

14. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Sure

Simply login onto your Belkin box, to do this open up your browser and type in the box's IP address (Check your Routers IP address in Mac OS Network Settings)

When logging in you maybe need to enter a password, if you have kept the default it will be in the routers documentation

In the menu you will need to look for the right submenu, many manufactures use different names for this setting so look out for:

Virtual Servers
    Port Forwarding
    Firewall Ports
    Games & Apps Access

Once you have found that then just add in the information and put in the Xbox's IP address (you may want to set the Xbox to use a manual IP so that it doesn't change in the near future)

Any more assistance let me know

15. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

Arrgh. I'm being a pain in the ass. It wouldnt install on OS X properly for some reason, so I put it all on XP.

Where on Earth do I log in to my Belkin box? And where am I typing the IP address?

Sorry for being difficult, I'm just crap with computers.

16. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

If your talking about installing the software that came with the Belkin box then you don't need it. Almost all routers can be controlled via the Web Browser so there is no need to have the software installed, at least not on OS X

Open up your web browser (whether it be Safari or Internet Explorer)

Type in the IP address of the Belkin in the address bar, the IP address that is normally used by most routers is 192.168.1.1 or something similar

You might then be asked to give a password, look in the manual to see what the default password is (usually the password is something like "admin" or even "password")

17. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

Well on OS X it didnt work install wise, but once it was all turned on it worked fine. However, I'd still prefer using Windows. Dont ask why!

Hoorah. I've got a page of stuff thats come up. What now?

18. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Just FYI don't let the school catch wind of you using a router. At many colleges it is frowned upon. I have heard of people taking down dorm networks with poorly setup routers. So beware of College IT!

19. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

I pay for my Internet at uni. It has NOTHING at all to do with my university. We get it provided by Digital Village.

20. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

To quote myself :) :

21. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm....this is very strange. Out of curiousity I just thought I'd try run this update, and this time it's actually doing it! But it's taking awhile, just about half way there.

Still probably best if I know how to do all this as a backup. I am back on OS X as I realised (duh) that it doesnt make a difference.

OK, I've clicked on virtual servers. And have lots of different ports. What goes where with all this lahdeedah?

I wish computers were simple. Thank God it's not my career path.

22. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

OK

So you will want:

Protocol TCP - Port 2074

Protocol TCP - Port 3074

Protocol UDP - Port 88

Protocol UDP - Port 2074

Protocol UDP - Port 3074

For all of these you will need to put the IP address of the Xbox down, you should be able to find this on the XBox

However if you are managing to get the system updates then it might not be the firewall, still might be best to open the opens anyway

23. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

OK, that still confuses the hell out of me on where to put it all in what no's I put them into.

Here's why Im coming back to this.

Im trying to host a game of Gears Of War between me and my friend and it keeps saying my connection to the host is lost. They've tried it with me when hosting a game, and get the same thing. My friend says it's probably something to do with the firewall, so hopefully doing all this will work around it?

24. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Just to let you know that I'm not familer with Belkins User Interface when it comes to their routers

Looking at the picture would you say that it looks like this?

Attached Files:

25. dontlosetouch thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. The long list of ports of whatever they are!