Wisconsin public workers stand up to Republicans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 18, 2011.

1. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

At last, we're seeing some blowback from the Republican budget hacking efforts.

It's nice to see a story where the average guy stands up for himself and Democrats stand up to Republicans. I hope the Dems stay out until this bill gets withdrawn.

There's no way they should be talking about making workers contribute more until the legislature rescinds that $200m tax cut. And taking away workers' bargaining rights should be off the table.

I'm glad this story is receiving national play. It was the lead on ABC News last night. Let's hope this is only the first in a series.

2. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I've been following this,it's quite uplifting to see a group fighting back against the dreary drift right in the U.S. Obama for once seems to have grown a spine.I'm thinking unless they have one Democratic senator take part they can't pass the bill?

3. macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, that's correct. 20 senators have to be present for a bill to be voted on. Republicans only have 19, so as long as all Democrats refuse to show up, they can't pass it. And I hope they hold out until the bill is changed.

4. macrumors G5

leekohler

It's about damn time. We have seen too many unions dismantled in this country. Now, do unions have problems? Sure. But dammit, corporate America is not living up to it's "free market" promise either. It's been a race to the bottom for a while, and it will probably get worse before it gets better. I've said we need a union in my occupation for a while. The higher ups refuse to pay us folks who come up with the ideas that they sell. We've gone without raises for seven years while they show us these glowing annual financial statements. It's disgusting.

5. macrumors 603

mrkramer

While I think what the Republicans are trying to do here is horrible, how is what the Dems are doing here any different from what the Republicans where doing in the US senate with filibustering bills, which I think I remember you getting mad about?

6. macrumors G5

leekohler

Have I ever advocated for getting rid of the filibuster? No. The Republicans used it for every little thing though. In some cases, such as this, it's warranted.

7. fivepoint, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I think the headline should read "Democrat congressmen, like local teachers, skirt public duties and skip town with Tea Party and Local Authorities in Hot Pursuit."

What a despicable display. Clearly there's one party in Wisconsin that REALLY cares about taking care of the deficit while others cling to every scrap of tax funds and benefits they can. While everyone else in Wisconsin cuts back during these difficult economic times... the unions want MORE MORE MORE. And these are the people we trust with our children. Amazing. For future reference... if you have to LEAVE THE STATE to avoid the authorities as a state congressman, you should probably rethink your actions.

Hahaha, how rich... the teachers are like children complaining that they don't get extra dessert after dinner when his parents are barely making the mortgage payment and the electricity bill. Good thing that child stood up to those mean budget hacking parents. ;)

8. macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I thought this exchange of comments on digg.com said it well.

____

[​IMG]

____

I remain in favor of the abolishment of filibustering and similar tricks for preventing votes.

9. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Anti-freedom,anti-liberty and authoritarian to the core.("Libertarian"? arf)

10. mcrain, Feb 18, 2011

macrumors 68000

mcrain

The party that freaks out because a bill that's been in the works for months hasn't had enough time for review, reading and hearings, is actually trying to strip collective bargaining rights from unions in 6 days? In the name of the budget?

I call BS.

(edit) By the way Fivepoint, it's good to see that you are still getting your "libertarian" talking points from Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, etc...

11. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

The people rise up in protest and 5P calls it despicable.

[shakes head]

From CNN...

Walker, who says the state is in a crisis, is asking legislators to pass his Budget Repair Bill to combat a $137 million shortfall through June 30. An upcoming two-year budget for 2011-13 must address a pending $3.6 billion deficit, he said.

But the state's Legislative Fiscal Bureau -- similar to the federal government's Congressional Budget Office -- reported last month that tax cuts passed late last year by Wisconsin's newly elected, Republican-led legislature had helped add more than $200 million to the state's budget shortfall.

First the Wisconsin republicans redistribute state funds to their special interests, and ask the working men and women to make up for it.

Then when the workers rise up in protest, 5P's horrified that they aren't dutifully sitting at their desks like good serfs.

Now THAT is despicable.

12. leekohler, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011

macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- but hey, teachers and such aren't important and don't deserve benefits or decent pay, right?

13. macrumors 68000

mcrain

I would think libertarians would stand up for individual rights, including the rights of people to work together to ensure safe workplaces, living wages, job security, etc...

When did libertarian become about supporting corporations and their profits?

14. macrumors 68000

Sydde

To which "libertarians" do you refer?

15. macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

16. Sydde, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011

macrumors 68000

Sydde

No, there is a much bigger issue at play here. Public employees represent the majority of the organized workforce in this country right now. Bust these unions and there will be no strong voice left in the political arena to counter corporate money.

17. macrumors 68000

mcrain

No one in particular, I just don't understand those who claim to be libertarian, but support anti-individual rights/pro-corporatist views. Seems disingenuous.

18. leekohler, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011

macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm well aware of that.

19. mcrain, Feb 18, 2011

macrumors 68000

mcrain

$120 Million Dollar Budget Surplus in Wisconsin at the start of this year.

(New Republican Governor gave away $140 Million dollars of business tax breaks - coincidentally, $137 Million dollar shortfall).

So... why are they proposing union busting legislation to "balance the budget?" (Zero fiscal impact?)

(Here's why: [​IMG])

20. macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- talk about your redistribution of wealth. :eek:

21. macrumors 6502

-Steve Jobs.

22. macrumors G5

leekohler

I have no interest in Steve Jobs opinion on education. He markets computers, he's not a teacher.

23. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Unsourced "opinion"

24. macrumors G5

leekohler

That's true. Not even a link.

25. macrumors 604

ravenvii