wisdom teeth...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kishba, Aug 30, 2002.

1. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i just had my wisdom teeth taken out a few hours ago... my mouth is just starting not to be numb and i keep bleeding... not fun..

can anyone else share their experiences with wisdom teeth?

2. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Don't even get me started.

I had three of my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 17. I was on vacation with my family and my jaw started hurting really, really badly. By time we got back home 3 days later I was running a temperature - the damned wisdom tooth had managed to get the whole area infected. When they did panoramic x-rays in preparation for removing it, the found that all 4 of wisdom teeth were severely impacted. The kicker was that the last molar next to one of the bottom ones was also impacted, so I basically had two teeth laying horizontally on top of each other. So they decided to leave those two in place but to take out the other three. I had a *very* bad reaction to the anesthesia and puked for two days. Finally exactly one week later I went to a movie (Men In Black) with a friend, still looking like a chipmunk, and freaked out when my Slurpee froze the stitches out of my gums (I later found out that this was a rather common occurance).

So, of course, one morning two years later (the first day of class sophomore year, to be exact) I woke up running a 103 degree fever and with the untouched side of jaw completely swollen. This time I went to a surgeon who let me stay awake (just local and Valium), which was great, because there was no puking involved. He told me no alcohol for 48 hours; after 5 days I had one glass of wine with my girlfriend, and I got freaking dry rot. Gah.

Needless to say, I hate wisdom teeth with a passion. :rolleyes:

Hope yours are much nicer to you then mine were! Recover quickly! ::healing vibes::

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

oh man cleo..... yeah, that's the key, getting em before they get impacted

mine went pretty well. i mean, i was in enough pain to use the painkillers for about 4 days or so... and it kinda sucked. but the surgery itself... haha. i remember being drugged. and being the drug free kind myself... it was my one and only time being high. and it was pretty funny.....

anyhoo, good luck...

4. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Junior in college

I didn't really have any problems having my wisdom teeth removed. The only wierd thing was a few days afterwards, there was this strange taste and funky smell the the back of my mouth. It kept getting worse and worse and didn't know what was causing it.

Finally, I figured it out. My gums had holes in them were the wisdom teeth were and food was stuck down in there. I couldn't get it out with swishing water in my mouth. I had to get a pair of curved tweasers and pick the food out. I remember picking out partially chewed up black olives from the wisdom teeth gum pit. OMG did they smell.

5. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Grab some salt water and swish it around to stop the bleeding!!;) :p

Don't swallow it!! ;)

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I quote Fight Club: "U can swallow 1 pint of blood before throwing up"

or something like that...

anyway...don't hate me all...but I've never gotten my wisdom teeth :D

funny thing...my mother never did either...but my younger sister did...weird :eek:

7. kishba thread starter macrumors 6502a

kishba

well my bleeding has finally stopped... i had some water & some light oatmeal (the gerber type stuff - not bad actually) and then had my medication

my jaw aches and it's definitely odd to open it... but i'll survive

gosh cleo... you have some very interesting medical issues :p :) ;)

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well this should brighten your spirits...

u have reached the 500 posts mark...u get an avatar now! :D ;)

maybe a tooth for such an occasion?

9. kishba thread starter macrumors 6502a

kishba

well the doctor gave me my four teeth (i had them all removed at once... hopefully that was the smart thing to do) so it is possible for me to use one of them as an avatar... i'm just not sure if i even want an avatar... i'm so used to my name being by its lonesome ;)

later when i'm even more bored (i'm watching lord of the rings to pass time right now) i'll try to get some pics... that or work some more on <shameless plug>ambitiouslemon.com</shameless plug>

at least the pain isn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be :)

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

My wisdom tooth experiences were not all that bad. I seem to have only had top ones. I had far worse oral surgery when I was in my teens, where my last lower molars were both severely impacted and they had to go in and remove bone so that the teeth could be exposed. I was on sufficient valium and gas that I didn't care what he was doing, but I do remember smelling smoke, and that was weird.

I had my upper wisdom teeth out three or four years ago, with nothing but novocaine, so I was well aware of it. There was no pain, but there was very uncomfortable pressure in my skull while he was yanking them out. The dentist asked me if I wanted a break in between teeth, but I figured it wasn't going to get any LESS difficult by waiting, so I told him to keep going (actually, I think I told him to "heef oyn" but he got the idea). One of them had gotten infected, and BLEAH. It kind of exploded in my mouth when he hit it with a novocaine needle. I mean, there was an audible pop.

As far as pain afterwards, it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared. There was a dull ache, and I took one of the Vicodin mostly because, you know, it's not often you get to experiment with controlled substances legally. Vicodin is apparently the "nap drug." I think maybe I had weird dreams, but that about covers it. I took three or four of the prescription strength (800mg) Advil over the next few days, but it wasn't bad at all.

Actually, now that I'm on the subject, why's that even a prescription? He could just say, "you know how the bottle says take 2? Well, take 4 instead." Anyhow, that's my wisdom tooth story.

11. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

When I had my 6 (yes, 6) wisdom teeth taken out, it was a rather uninteresting experience. I had a med student and doctor both in my mouth at once... I was awake the entire time looking at the light, breathing in the nice happy gas...

It only took 15-30 minutes for the surgery.

For the next week or so, I was on percocet, which had me sleeping about 20 hours each day. I was on nothing but Carnation Instant Breakfast (quite yummy). Brushing my teeth hurt way too much, so my teeth were a bit fuzzy and all the blood and oozing in the back made for an interesting taste in my mouth.

All in all, it was quite tolerable.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

gelfin.... the part about the popping

well, i'm feeling pain in my mouth right now... thanks a lot

ha

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it's pretty much true, too... i once almost cut my finger off, and of course i stuck it in my mouth till we got to the hospital... i wound up swallowing over a pint, and i vomited blood everywhere while i was getting stitches... not fun :(

as for wisdom teeth, mine are just cutting, and i'm hopefully that they wont need to be removed. i absolutely hate dental surgery, i cant even think of having 'em pulled...

:)
    pnw

14. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Oh boy. I remember my extraction....very well

It happened quite a long time ago. The dentist told me that they only had to take out three because the fourth one was actually growing like the other teeth.

The put me under.....I remember the nurse telling me to say the alphabet backwards, I remember going to Q then I was out.

With all of the work they were doing, I couldn't really sleep, every now and then, I would open my eye and fall back asleep.

Eventually, I remember getting irritated with my mouth open so long that I shut my mouth...they had some sort of mechanism that kept my mouth open but I guess it wasn't strong enough because I shut it closed.... I heard the dentist tell the nurse, "Quick, get another one...." I totally remember smiling then I went back to sleep.

I woke up afterwards not able to feel my tongue. They gave me a little water gun to shoot water into the holes after I would eat. I must say I still got my toy....

Back in the days....now I get no toy....