Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

earthtoandy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2003
I cant remember ever being so nervous. I want this so damn bad!!!! I know i would be excellent at the job but so much is out of my control. This would be amazing to get. I mean what else could be cooler than a job at an apple store!!??

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Mate,

You'll do great. If you want the job, you'll perform that much better, and so you'll be much more likely to succeed. And I *think* you might want this job pretty bad! ;)

Good luck bro,

andy.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
earthtoandy said:
I cant remember ever being so nervous. I want this so damn bad!!!! I know i would be excellent at the job but so much is out of my control. This would be amazing to get. I mean what else could be cooler than a job at an apple store!!??

Good luck! and let us know how it turns out.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Good Luck. I've hired probably 100 people over the past 15 years, and interviewed 3-4 times that many. Obviously, it's important that you are qualified, but you wouldn't be getting an interview if your resume wasn't good ebough. The main thing is to appear relaxed, personable and confident. Appearing over-eager puts people off, as does cockiness.

I'm sure you'll do well. Can you get me a discount? :p

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
powermac666 said:
Good Luck. I've hired probably 100 people over the past 15 years, and interviewed 3-4 times that many.

Quick (off topic) question PM666.. how important is that college degree? I went to a top 5 school, dropped out riiiight before graduating and totally switched up my career path. Now I've been kick ass in IT for 10 years and looking to move to the next level. But I don't have that piece of paper that says I'm as "smart" as I actually am. Is there a point when you think, ok, lack of college degree, not to important, this person obviously has experience?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
yellow said:
Quick (off topic) question PM666.. how important is that college degree? I went to a top 5 school, dropped out riiiight before graduating and totally switched up my career path. Now I've been kick ass in IT for 10 years and looking to move to the next level. But I don't have that piece of paper that says I'm as "smart" as I actually am. Is there a point when you think, ok, lack of college degree, not to important, this person obviously has experience?
Having interviewed my fair share of people and now working with a number of them, I can say that college background played no role in any of our decisions - all of our positions require some level of experience, so we weren't hiring recent grads (where college degrees are a big part of what you can look at). I cannot say that HR didn't screen many non-degree candidates, but I do now work with a guy with zero college education who passed through HR to get to us for an interview - and he's exceptional.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
yellow said:

I'd rather have someone with four years of real world experience than someone who is fresh out of college with a fancy degree (Of course, having both is a big plus). One of the most important things for us is seeing a resume that doesn't suggest a job jumper. When I see someone has held three jobs in three years, I run the other way. You invest a lot of time in orientation and training, then the person leaves? Not a fan of that.
I have virtually no college on my resume, just a few night courses really. I managed to climb up to a VP position in our little ($20mm sales, 150 employees) printing company without a degree.

If you almost finished college at a decent school, and now have 10 years' work history, only an idiot would hold you back from filling a position you are qualified for just on the basis of not finishing up your degree.

Say, ever think about relocating to the Mid-Atlantic? :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
powermac666 said:
Say, ever think about relocating to the Mid-Atlantic? :)
That would be quite the cross-country move from North Carolina, where I think (based on his "RI -> ME -> NC" location tag) yellow is living now... :)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
jsw said:
That would be quite the cross-country move from North Carolina, where I think (based on his "RI -> ME -> NC" location tag) yellow is living now... :)

Here in Maryland, we think of North Carolina as the Deep South. Northern Virginia is still the Mid-Atlantic, but just barely... :)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Thanks for the response. It' quite fortuitous that I was able to ask you this question, as last evening I was lamenting the lack of upward mobility for Mac people within my Enterprise (it's decidedly Window-centrique).

I'm from Rhode Island.. Maryland is the south too.. :)

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
_pb_boi said:
Mate,

You'll do great. If you want the job, you'll perform that much better, and so you'll be much more likely to succeed. And I *think* you might want this job pretty bad! ;)

Good luck bro,

andy.

Hehe, in my case, pretty true. I attend a co-op university, so when I graduate, I'll have a piece of paper and work experience. Anyway, the only interview I felt I did well in was for the job I really wanted. And I got the job. All the lesser jobs turned me down. :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Good luck earthoandy. Hope that all your dreams are realized. Will be interested to hear the results. ;)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
That's kinda funny...

earthtoandy said:

Dude, PM me. You are interviewing for the job I just left.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
appleretailguy said:
Dude, PM me. You are interviewing for the job I just left.

That made my day... :D

But will you be allowed to post here if you get the job? if so, could you hold your mouth about new releases? :p ...

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Are you applying at the Chandler store or the other one on Camelback (can't remember the name just now)?
I'm at the Chandler store all the time, so let us know how you do and I'll pop in and say hi!

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
AmigoMac said:
That made my day... :D

But will you be allowed to post here if you get the job? if so, could you hold your mouth about new releases? :p ...

It is kinda funny, isn't it?

I think Apple avoids the product leak issue by simply not telling their retail folks about new releases before they are announced to the public. Maybe each store manager knows ahead of time, but I'm thinking that he or she would have to sign an NDA to get the job.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
True

powermac666 said:
It is kinda funny, isn't it?

I think Apple avoids the product leak issue by simply not telling their retail folks about new releases before they are announced to the public. Maybe each store manager knows ahead of time, but I'm thinking that he or she would have to sign an NDA to get the job.

Yep, we do sign NDAs but we don't get told any information until they have officially released it. It would be really hard to stumble upon anything. We can post as long as we don't release any official documents or something similar to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.