Wishlist for iTunes 7.0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Labi, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Labi macrumors regular

As far as I know, to display the album cover in iTunes you have to drag and drop the image into iTunes, is that correct? Now, wouldn't it be more convenient that the iTunes displays the cover which is in the folder together with the songs. Windows media Player can do that, why can't iTunes.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'd like to browse albums by album art in iTunes and on the iPod.

Other than that, perhaps the oft-mentioned gapless playback and graphical equalizers.

I'd like to see adjustable sound check levels and on-the-fly compression of older source material like Sinatra recordings, etc. Multiple libraries, more powerful management of duplicate songs and adjustable font sizes.

3. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

It should support FLAC and SHN at the very least, and TTA and APE ideally. =\

(and if the iTMS had > 128k bitrate, I might consider purchases there, even if I had to pay a bit more).

4. carpe diem macrumors 6502

5. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

Check out CoverFlow

You should check out CoverFlow, http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/Download.html. Its a lovely quartz-powered way to browse albums by album art.

Still in technical demo, but destined to be a gem.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I still want the same as I wanted for iTunes 5 back in February:

Apart from the introduction of folders (which isn't even springloaded) both iTunes 5 and 6 ( :rolleyes: ) has been very disappointing.

7. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Yeah thats true those same things really annoy me.

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

The same things keep cropping up because Apple never seems to implement the features that people want (every new feature seems to involve the music store, not surprisingly!).

I would like some of the following:

1. The ability to select certain consecutive tracks to flow into each other like they often do on a CD. The crossfade option doesn't work properly, even when set to zero seconds. (Apparently, a technical part of the AAC/MP3 format might prevent this from becoming reality).
    2. Simple editing of tracks - e.g. to seperate the secret song into a seperate track and to cut (rather than just set the end point) a track down to size. You can use Garageband for this, but it's a hassle.
    3. An updated visualiser that doesn't break all of Mac OS X's rules in full screen mode. (I know you can download 3rd party ones but none seem to be as good).
    4. Better handling of videos
    5. An option to be asked which audio format you wish to import in when you press the import button and also similar options for disc burning. I occasionally change the setting from AAC to AIFF for other work and then forget to change it back! Since iTunes 5 this has been made worse by the grouping of these options under the 'Advanced' tab.
    6. Ability to manually arrange playlists in the source list, like in iPhoto. Currently they are all in alphabetical order.
    7. Cocoa program please! This is not absolutely vital, but it would be nice at least to see the menus update in real time not after you click the OK button.
    8. Nitpicking but options for turning on/off podcasts, music store, videos, radio, etc should all be under the same preference tab - it's unintuitive to have some under the general and some under the parental controls tabs.
    9. More communication with other iLife, and Mac programs. I want iTunes to stop playing when I start an iPhoto slideshow with music (like iChat conferencing does) and I want iTunes volume settings to carry across into iDVD and iPhoto.

That said, iTunes is pretty good. Most of my things are bugs rather than new features, but what it does do, it does pretty well.

9. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Gapless playback.

I can reencode all my stuff to something iTunes compatible, just give me gapless playback ffs.

10. iHateWindows macrumors 6502

I made a ton of feature requests for it and so did my friends, so hopefully Apple will listen to us.

11. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

A way of displaying multiple windows (tabbed or otherwise) in iTMS.

12. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

i'd like to see some more language support, at least for track titles/albums/artists...hebrew specifically

13. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Being able to select more than one playlist at a time, to drag to iPods.

Better video support.

Browsing by album art, a la Cover Flow.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i agree with all of yours exactly, except number 6 because that works just fine for me. i can burn 80min cds with no problem.

15. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I havent downloaded any music videos off the itunes store, but i was just thinking: "What if you could play a music video and display it where the album art is displayed?". I think that would be cool. Also, GET RID OF THE BRUSHED METAL!!!! 10.4.3 should be nothing but getting rid of the brushed metal look. I really dont like it. Im so happy every time a update comes out that add color to windows, or programs.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can have the videos play in the album art window, and brushed metal is gone, its now a unified grey color.

for the video issue, open up the prefs and go to playback, you can change it from there

17. NicP macrumors 6502

same!

18. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

128Kbps encoding options for iPods other than the shuffle. I like encoding my music to 320Kbps AAC for high-quality storage but prefer iTunes to transfer a 128Kbps version to my iPods.

I don't mind if it takes longer, since my dual G5 can rip through the compression pretty fast.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ah i forgot that one too!!

it would be so nice, i could use Lossless or 320 for my library then

as of right now im debating to encode at 192 or 320, but my mini would be filled so fast the 320!

20. iHateWindows macrumors 6502

(Curses at slow but yet so fast Mac Mini)

21. iHateWindows macrumors 6502

What I do is I encode most of my songs as 192 AACs and my favorite/most listened to songs at 320.

22. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I would like something liek the feature in Ask the DJ where it crossfades beats really well between songs.

Also I am so ADD that I would love a feature that played the middle 30 seconds of each song and cross beat into the next one nonstop!

Also, why not integrate DVD playback as well as TV viewing if you have a TV tuner hooked up.

Also, a way to find duplicate songs and deal with them easily.

Also a visualizer with album art.

The ability to sort playlists non-alphabetically.

The option to not have videos play when playing the entire library on random.

Direct voice recording.

Improve video playback. Maybe some sort of filter that improves the quality of iTMS shows in full screen, that smooths it out.

#1 iTMS request: ability to redownload music ( a la audible.com)

this is porrly written cos it's 3 am . goodnight.

23. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

Yeah, what's up with this? I've been able to burn 80min CD's for years.

jx

24. UberMac macrumors 6502

The ability to have aliases to songs which feature on two albums, but which you only want to store once.

An "Add this to the queue" button/option. When I'm halfway through a song, I often find myself already looking for another song to listen to. Wouldn't it be ace to be able to add this to a queue to play...and then add another, and another. I know you can do this in Party shuffle, but each time you add a song it goes to the TOP which means you rarely actually hear all the songs you "request"

Uber

25. Salasm macrumors regular

Salasm

Couldn't you already do this with a playlist? Create a new playlist, name it something like "playtemp" and add a song. Play the song from that playlist. When you select the next songs you want queued, you can right-click the song and "Add to Playlist" > "playtemp".

The "playtemp" playlist you can either delete, re-name, or clear out once you're done listening.